Re: Problem sets.

  • William M. Shubert
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 1999
      SY was once part of the standard. You are right, I should get rid of it
      since it is no longer in the standard. Also, you are right, a machine
      readable indication of correct answer would be nice.

      The rest I think is just personal preference. In the tsumego problem I
      don't put anything in the root node because there are several problems in a
      single SGF file. I do it this way because I like it this way, and I wrote
      the problem-format-converter for my own use. The joseki problem has nothing
      in the root node because it is essentially a game frozen a few moves in,
      and games usually start with an empty board. Again, I did it this way
      because I like it - sometimes I want to back up and see the order of the
      moves as they appeared, because sometimes I can't figure out how the board
      got into this position. As for having to step forward to get the labels, I
      like that because I pick my move first without the labels, then if there is
      no label where I picked, I know I am way off and re-think the problem
      knowing that the solution is one of the labelled points. I never click
      where the answer is, when I do these problems I never use the mouse at all.
      With cgoban you can navigate the variations very easily with just a
      keyboard. Again, it is this way because I did it for myself and I like it
      this way.

      Basically, except for SY and TE, I don't think you can call the way I like
      it or the way you like it "wrong" or "right". Both ways you have a problem
      and a solution. Little things like whether the board appears in the root
      node, and whether you step to see the options or see them right away, are
      rather nitpicky.

      Maybe on the SGF web pages we could have a collection of problems, not
      really to solve, but just to see the different ways that problems may be
      presented with SGF? That could be useful both as templates for people
      trying to build problem sets, and also as test cases for SGF viewers so
      that programmers could make sure that their viewer/editor performs as the
      SGF author intended for every case. Does this sound good? If enough other
      people like this (and will contribute their own SGF problems done the way
      they like), then I'll clean up mine to get rid of SY and add TE and repost.

      --
      Bill Shubert (wms@...)
      http://www.hevanet.com/wms/