open source java sgf viewer?

  • Ray Tayek
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
      hi, working on an sgf viewer. i have a parser and some old display code.
      but the display code is very old. i was looking for a clean board display.

      my goal is to try and make a joseki viewer that works like manyfaces
      (allows you to start the joseki in any corner and any direction), but will
      eat kogos dictionary (many faces does not like it - and i suspect that he
      has special code to handle the symmetries).

      any pointers will be appreciated.

      thanks

      ---
      ray tayek http://home.attbi.com/~rtayek/ actively seeking telecommuting work
      vice chair orange county java users group http://www.ocjug.org/
      mailto:chair@...
      hate spam? http://samspade.org/ssw/
    • David Fotland
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
        Many Faces version 11 works with Kogo's dictionary.

        David

        At 03:31 AM 9/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
        >hi, working on an sgf viewer. i have a parser and some old display code.
        >but the display code is very old. i was looking for a clean board display.
        >
        >my goal is to try and make a joseki viewer that works like manyfaces
        >(allows you to start the joseki in any corner and any direction), but will
        >eat kogos dictionary (many faces does not like it - and i suspect that he
        >has special code to handle the symmetries).
        >
        >any pointers will be appreciated.
        >
        >thanks
        >
        >---
        >ray tayek http://home.attbi.com/~rtayek/ actively seeking telecommuting work
        >vice chair orange county java users group http://www.ocjug.org/
        >mailto:chair@...
        >hate spam? http://samspade.org/ssw/
        >

        >SGF spec: http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/
        >Contact: Arno Hollosi <ahollosi@...>

      • Ray Tayek
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
          At 05:36 PM 9/17/02 -0700, you wrote:

          >Many Faces version 11 works with Kogo's dictionary.
          >
          >David

          sort of. it does complain about "this file removes stones without capture".

          but the real problem is that is does not allow me to start the joseki in
          any corner and in any direction (like manyfaces built-in joseki dictionary
          does). this is really valuable when playing by email or on-line. (it would
          also be nice to attach the joseki dictionary to an existing game that was
          in the fuseki stage.) i suspect that you do have some special logic to
          handle the symmetris. but i can't seem to find any sgf file that you keep
          your josekis in. (are they in fuseki.fus?).

          my parser can eat kogo's dictionary. i just need some display code and then
          i can write some logic to deal with the symmetries.

          thanks

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
            At 08:43 PM 9/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
            >At 05:36 PM 9/17/02 -0700, you wrote:
            >
            > >Many Faces version 11 works with Kogo's dictionary.
            > >
            > >David
            >
            >sort of. it does complain about "this file removes stones without capture".

            Only because kogo doesn't always follow the sgf style guide :) It turns
            out that
            when it does this, it is doing something like "play A, remove A, play B" all
            as a single move, and Many Faces 11 handles this case correctly.

            Since Many Faces is a go playing program, it can't handle removing an
            arbitrary stone from the board. Stones are only removed by capturing them.

            >but the real problem is that is does not allow me to start the joseki in
            >any corner and in any direction (like manyfaces built-in joseki dictionary
            >does). this is really valuable when playing by email or on-line. (it would
            >also be nice to attach the joseki dictionary to an existing game that was
            >in the fuseki stage.) i suspect that you do have some special logic to
            >handle the symmetris. but i can't seem to find any sgf file that you keep
            >your josekis in. (are they in fuseki.fus?).

            Sure it does. Use the View menu to rotate or flip the board to get the
            orientation
            you want. But you can't easily combine the joseki library with a game.

            A feature on the list for next version is to allow you to import joseki for
            Many Faces
            to use in the engine, and display in the tutor. But even then you would not
            have Kogo's wonderful comments on the move.

            My joseki database is compiled into the program, not as a separate file. I
            had to do this for the game console versions, where there is no file system.
            Also, I keep the josekis in a directed graph, not a tree, to allow move
            transpositions, and sgf format only supports trees.

            I do have special code to handle the symmetries. It's possible for a joseki to
            start asymmetric one way, then become symmetric again, then go asymmetric the
            other way :)

            David

            >my parser can eat kogo's dictionary. i just need some display code and then
            >i can write some logic to deal with the symmetries.
            >
            >thanks
            >

            > >At 03:31 AM 9/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
            > > >hi, working on an sgf viewer. i have a parser and some old display code.
            > > >but the display code is very old. i was looking for a clean board display.
            > > >
            > > >my goal is to try and make a joseki viewer that works like manyfaces
            > > >(allows you to start the joseki in any corner and any direction), but will
            > > >eat kogos dictionary (many faces does not like it - and i suspect that he
            > > >has special code to handle the symmetries).
            > > >
            > > >any pointers will be appreciated.

            >---
            >ray tayek http://home.attbi.com/~rtayek/ actively seeking telecommuting work
            >vice chair orange county java users group http://www.ocjug.org/
            >mailto:chair@...
            >hate spam? http://samspade.org/ssw/
            >

            >SGF spec: http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/
            >Contact: Arno Hollosi <ahollosi@...>

          • mikke
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2002
              > Only because kogo doesn't always follow the sgf style guide :) It turns
              > out that when it does this, it is doing something like "play A, remove A,
              > play B" all as a single move

              It doesn't just break the guide lines, does it? It breaks the standard as well.

              My favorit sgf-viewer PilotGOne have this drawback. It violates "Only one
              of each property is allowed per node" for many property types.

              I have a not related question:
              Could someone please explain the use of "inherit"? It has confused me for
              a while. I think I understand the intention of having "inherit" but it seam
              only to be used by DD[] PM[] VW[] (all new in FF[4]). I would belive
              that other properties could be a candidate for that attribute, e g AB[].
              Many applications (correctly I think?) treat AB[] and AW[] as "inherit".

              Regards,
              Mikael Thulin
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 21, 2002
                On Thursday 19 September 2002 20:07, mikke wrote:
                > > "play A, remove A, play B" all as a single move
                > It breaks the standard as well.

                Yes, invalid SGF.

                > Could someone please explain the use of "inherit"? It has confused me for
                > a while. I think I understand the intention of having "inherit" but it seam
                > only to be used by DD[] PM[] VW[] (all new in FF[4]). I would belive
                > that other properties could be a candidate for that attribute, e g AB[].
                > Many applications (correctly I think?) treat AB[] and AW[] as "inherit".

                Your logic is correct. However, changes on the board, such as B,W,AB,AW,AE
                have always been permanent. "Inherit" was mainly invented for describing
                "permanent" board markup. Thus it is limited to DD etc.

                /Arno
              • Scott Thompson
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 28, 2002
                  Can anyone tell me where I can find a spec for the UGF (UGI?) file
                  format?

                  I'd like to do ugf to sgf conversion but all of the utilities I've
                  found loose things like comments.

                  Scott