Re: [sgf-std] illegal sgf (was: newbie questions about sgf 4 and 5)

  • David Fotland
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2002
      I've seen many strange sgf files, and Many Faces can handle some of them.

      This includes:

      Missing initial semicolon in the root node

      Empty root node with setup information in the second node

      Root node contains a move.

      AE and moves mixed in the same node. kogo's joseki dictionary does this,
      so it's important to handle it. I've seen nodes that look like
      W[bc]AE[bc]W[df] which looks like trying to correct a move with a dumb editor.
      I've seen variations that start with an AE that removes the previous move.

      Whitespace inside move properties W[ bc ]

      Nodes that contain more than one move

      Nodes that contain both AB/AW and moves

      AB and AW outside of the root node. I've seen some files that use AB and AW
      to make every move rather than B and W.

      FF[4] files that don't escape newlines in comments correctly

      It seems that there are some sgf editors out there that work at the sgf
      property level
      directly and don't enforce any of the rules.

      David Fotland

      At 10:20 AM 9/11/2002 +0200, mikke wrote:
      > > p.s. does someone know which programs add "S4" properties? This is a *big*
      > > violation of the spec, which states that properties consist only of A-Z.
      > > Files with "S4" properties are unreadable for many other applications.
      > If you
      > > know not only the program but the author as well, please contact him/her
      > > about that issue.
      >
      >I bet you know many common and uncommon violations against the standard.
      >Do you keep them listed somewhere? Would it be possible to have a peek at
      >that list. The S4 property didn't bother my application but I guess that
      >there is
      >plenty of common violations that will.
      >
      >Regards,
      >Mikael Thulin
      >
      >PS I have noticed that there are many files at jansteens homepage that
      >contains
      >illegal "variations", like ( ;B[me];W[ep](;B[eo];W[dp]);B[cp];W[do]). I have
      >a hard time deciding on how to treat them. They are indeed broken. However
      >the ones at jansteen can be fixed by just removing those illegal
      >parenthesis. I
      >not totally found of that as it might create an non valid record, in other
      >cases.
      >Does anyone know the origin of those files (application/user/etc). Any
      >suggestion
      >on how handle them, except throwing them away?
      >

      >SGF spec: http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/
      >Contact: Arno Hollosi <ahollosi@...>

    • mikke
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2002
        > I've seen many strange sgf files, and Many Faces can handle some of them.
        >
        > This includes:

        Thanks for your list.

        If anyone have for some reason saved a bundle of broken sgf-files I would be
        happy if you could mail them to me.

        Regards,
        Mikael Thulin
      • mikke
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2002
          > > I bet you know many common and uncommon violations against the standard.

          > Yes. But not so much because I coordinate the SGF work, but because I'm
          > the maintainer of the Go Teaching Ladder. People really use all kind of
          > featues of their programs to make reviews. What I receive on a day to
          > day basis at the GTL really gives a good overview of quirks of commonly
          > used programs at the time.

          > If I find the time, I could go over the original submitted SGF files for
          > the teaching ladder. That surely is a big source of possible errors.

          Are these files available somewhere for easy download (as abundle)?

          Regards,
          Mikael Thulin
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14, 2002
            > > If I find the time, I could go over the original submitted SGF files for
            > > the teaching ladder. That surely is a big source of possible errors.
            >
            > Are these files available somewhere for easy download (as abundle)?

            Here they are:
            http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/examples/faulty-sgf-files.tgz

            Stats: out of 180 sgf files submitted, 50 are included in the tarball. These
            50 contain at least 1 (serious) error. Only about 50 out of 180 were without
            errors and warnings reported by SGFC. The remaining 100 had one of:
            * empty TM[] property
            * text AFTER game tree (strictly speaking this is an error)
            * property in wrong FF, e.g. CA, AP etc. in FF[1-3]

            Oddly enough, no SGF file was missing the ';' after the game start. Seems that
            this error has been fixed in most programs.

            /Arno

            p.s. if you are in doubt about why the file is included in the tarball and
            which errors it contains run it through SGFC.

            pp.s. 3 small notes:
            7694ooli.sgf: is FF4, but has lowercase letters in prop ID
            5925UxAz.sgf: some binary data there
            1189zdMh.sgf: is one of the files that contains that "S4" property.