Re: [sgf-std] illegal sgf (was: newbie questions about sgf 4 and5)

  • mikke
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2002
      > > PS I have noticed that there are many files at jansteens homepage that contains
      > > illegal "variations", like ( ;B[me];W[ep](;B[eo];W[dp]);B[cp];W[do]). I have
      > > a hard time deciding on how to treat them. They are indeed broken. However
      >
      > AFAIK, the problem results from Jan's sgf2misc program. ISHI (.GO)
      > format has "inline" variations (can't think of a better term), while SGF
      > has "trailing" variations so to speak. The sgf2misc program doesn't
      > bother and simply translates the starting/ending variation marks
      > directly between the two fileformats, producing illegal SGF in the
      > process. Simply ignoring the '()' is not correct (maybe it just looked
      > like that?), as you would "import" the variation line into the main line.

      Hmm... I see. So what is best? Eat the variation and throw it away?

      FF[1] and FF[3] states:
      "Thus the main branch of the game is stored first in the file, and programs can
      easily read that part (until the first closing parenthesis) and ignore the rest."
      Is that suposed to be true for FF[4] as well?

      Regards,
      Mikael Thulin