newbie questions about sgf 4 and 5

  • MENON Jean-Francois
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
      hello,

      I have some questions when recording IGS games to sgf files:

      1) I try to take advantages of the SGF 5 otions, while keeping
      compatibility with sgf4
      so I make the OT properyt like this:

      (;FF[4]KM[5.5]HA[4]OT[300][OP:A:300][OM:A:25][NO:A:1]

      the behavior of my application is to read the first (sgf4) prop
      (OT[300]) and override it with the second if it is present. I would like
      to know if it is a correct behavior. Some sgf readers seems to refuse to
      open a file with this header.

      2) To store a maximum of information given by IGS, I add some private
      properties. Should I submit them somewhere to ask them to be added in a
      future version of the SGF standard?

      jf

      / do you play Go? \
      |http://jeanfrancois.menon.free.fr/rubygo |
      \ /
      \ ^__^
      \ (oo)\_______
      (__)\ )\/\
      ||----w |
      || ||
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2002
        > 1) I try to take advantages of the SGF 5 otions, while keeping
        > compatibility with sgf4

        You are aware that FF5 is not defined yet? What is on the pages is a summary
        of the discussion that happened two years ago. Some Japanese programs adopted
        the FF5 draft, but I think that's premature. I don't think that the
        discussion about FF5 had reached a point where we could make it a new
        standard.

        > (;FF[4]KM[5.5]HA[4]OT[300][OP:A:300][OM:A:25][NO:A:1]
        > the behavior of my application is to read the first (sgf4) prop
        > (OT[300]) and override it with the second if it is present. I would like
        > to know if it is a correct behavior. Some sgf readers seems to refuse to
        > open a file with this header.

        That's because it's not valid FF4. I guess the best thing is to mark this file
        as FF5 (which I don't think is a good idea either, see above).

        > 2) To store a maximum of information given by IGS, I add some private
        > properties. Should I submit them somewhere to ask them to be added in a
        > future version of the SGF standard?

        If you think that these properties add features which you feel are important
        for everyone, post your proposal here. Otherwise just use non-standard names
        which don't occur in the specification yet.

        /Arno

        p.s. does someone know which programs add "S4" properties? This is a *big*
        violation of the spec, which states that properties consist only of A-Z.
        Files with "S4" properties are unreadable for many other applications. If you
        know not only the program but the author as well, please contact him/her
        about that issue.
      • MENON Jean-Francois
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2002
          Arno Hollosi wrote:

          > > 1) I try to take advantages of the SGF 5 otions, while keeping
          > > compatibility with sgf4
          >
          > You are aware that FF5 is not defined yet? What is on the pages is a summary
          > of the discussion that happened two years ago. Some Japanese programs adopted
          > the FF5 draft, but I think that's premature. I don't think that the
          > discussion about FF5 had reached a point where we could make it a new
          > standard.

          ok, I suppose I will have to create a private property in FF4 to use
          benefits of OT in FF5.
          I would have suggested a behavior with the contents of the properties
          similar that the one defined
          for the names of properties: if you don't understand syntax, just skip
          it. What do you think about that?

          > > 2) To store a maximum of information given by IGS, I add some private
          > > properties. Should I submit them somewhere to ask them to be added in a
          > > future version of the SGF standard?
          >
          > If you think that these properties add features which you feel are important
          > for everyone, post your proposal here. Otherwise just use non-standard names
          > which don't occur in the specification yet.
          >
          > /Arno

          question: how do I know that the names I choose will not clash with
          future versions of the standard?
          maybe you should define a 'name space' for such private props. ( for ex
          P_XX ).

          I don't know if it is important for everyone :->, but here are the props
          I defined to store games infos from IGS:

          ID -> game identificator (number)
          DA -> Dames (point)
          WP,BP -> prisoneers (number)

          jf