Re: [sgf-std] escape

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2002
      Mikael,

      > As I understand it, the only character that it is necessary to escape is
      > "]". The "\" the escape character does not need to be escaped. Does this
      > imply that private properties can not escape the "\", even if they would
      > like to? If they could wouldn't it make it hard to interpret?

      There are no rules what you can or cannot do inside a private property. Now I
      agree that omitting to mention that '\' has to be escaped is a mistake, but
      hardly one, which is incorrectable. IIRC, SGFC treats '\' as a general escape
      char, thus in e.g. 'XX[\\]B[aa]' the property value of XX is "\\" (not

      I think that just about every program handles it in the same way. Anyway, this
      was clearly the intention of the spec. I will clarify that '\' itself has to
      be escpaed as well.

      /Arno

      p.s. apart from that, having a private property that contains something like
      [...\\] looks like a pathologic case to me.