Re: [sgf-std] escaping parentheses in comments

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2002
      > Does a ")" have to be escaped with a "\)". I want knwo if a ":)" is
      > valid as part of a comment.

      The only mandatory characters to be escaped are "\" and "]".
      If you use composite datatypes then ":" has to be escaped as well.
      So ":)" is a valid part.

      However the spec allows escaping any other character as well.
      So C[\H\e\l\l\o\ \w\o\r\l\d\! \:\)] is valid SGF as well.

      /Arno
    • ashleyfeniello
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2002
        --- In sgf-std@y..., Arno Hollosi <ahollosi@x> wrote:

        > > Does a ")" have to be escaped with a "\)". I want knwo if a ":)"
        is
        > > valid as part of a comment.
        >
        > The only mandatory characters to be escaped are "\" and "]".
        > If you use composite datatypes then ":" has to be escaped as well.
        > So ":)" is a valid part.
        >
        > However the spec allows escaping any other character as well.
        > So C[\H\e\l\l\o\ \w\o\r\l\d\! \:\)] is valid SGF as well.
        >
        > /Arno

        I've noticed that Anders Kierulf's SmartGo always escapes ":". I
        think that this is a good practice (and maybe should me made
        manditory). Without doing this, future extension to datatypes is
        possibly ambiguous. For example, the proposed FF[5] change to CA -
        changing from SimpleText to Composed.