escaping parentheses in comments

  • mikespaner
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4 10:23 AM
      Does a ")" have to be escaped with a "\)". I want knwo if a ":)" is
      valid as part of a comment.

      Thanks,
      Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4 11:20 AM
        > Does a ")" have to be escaped with a "\)". I want knwo if a ":)" is
        > valid as part of a comment.

        The only mandatory characters to be escaped are "\" and "]".
        If you use composite datatypes then ":" has to be escaped as well.
        So ":)" is a valid part.

        However the spec allows escaping any other character as well.
        So C[\H\e\l\l\o\ \w\o\r\l\d\! \:\)] is valid SGF as well.

        /Arno
      • ashleyfeniello
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2002
          --- In sgf-std@y..., Arno Hollosi <ahollosi@x> wrote:

          > > Does a ")" have to be escaped with a "\)". I want knwo if a ":)"
          is
          > > valid as part of a comment.
          >
          > The only mandatory characters to be escaped are "\" and "]".
          > If you use composite datatypes then ":" has to be escaped as well.
          > So ":)" is a valid part.
          >
          > However the spec allows escaping any other character as well.
          > So C[\H\e\l\l\o\ \w\o\r\l\d\! \:\)] is valid SGF as well.
          >
          > /Arno

          I've noticed that Anders Kierulf's SmartGo always escapes ":". I
          think that this is a good practice (and maybe should me made
          manditory). Without doing this, future extension to datatypes is
          possibly ambiguous. For example, the proposed FF[5] change to CA -
          changing from SimpleText to Composed.