Re: Re: SGF & XML

  • Vlad Dumitrescu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2000
      Arno Hollossi wrote:
      >I have uploaded SGFML version 0.02 at http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/xml/

      Hi! It looks a lot better!

      I have one comment from my first look at the file.

      <!ELEMENT sequence ( (node|setup)+, (sequence)* )>
      <!-- two node types: nodes and setup nodes -->
      <!ELEMENT node
      (move|gameinfo|markup|line|comment|title|annotate|value|property)* >
      <!ELEMENT setup
      (addstone|gameinfo|markup|line|comment|title|annotate|value|property)* >

      This definition allows a node to have several moves, gameinfos, comments and
      so on, which I suppose isn't wanted. Instead it might read something like:

      <!ELEMENT node (move?, gameinfo?, markup*, line*, comment?, title?,
      annotate?, value?, property) >
      <!ELEMENT setup (title?, gameinfo?, addstone?, markup*, line*, comment?,
      annotate?, value?, property?) >

      This restrains the order of the elements, but I don't think it's a big
      issue.

      regards,
      /Vlad
    • ashleyfeniello
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2002
        --- In sgf-std@y..., vladdu@... wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > As the original author of the mail mr van der Steen posted here
        from the
        > computer-go mailing list, I am happy to see something is moving! :-
        )

        > I was about to write a sample draft DTD myself, but the one mr
        Hollosi has
        > posted is much better.
        >
        > A first look at it brings up a question: Should the XML format
        mimic
        > the SGF one, or should it use the new possibilities? What I mean
        is that
        > a general "node" in SGF can correspond to several different in
        XML. The best
        > example would be the initial node describing the game information.
        Of course,
        > having a more or less exact match would make it possible to use
        both formats
        > with the same tree structure...
        >
        > And a proposal for the name: 3 letter names are more useful as
        filename
        > extensions, so what about XGF? could mean eXtended Game Format, or
        eXtrasmart
        > Game Format... :-)
        >
        > cheers,
        > /Vlad

        Is anyone doing anything on this front?
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24, 2002
          > Is anyone doing anything on this front?

          Many people have asked about an XML version. Over 2 years ago a group of
          people set out to define such a file format (AFAIK up until now they only
          have produced a requirements document).

          I have dismissed XML until recently. Now, as I know core XML technologies by
          heart (because of my job), I think it is a good idea. Also, now I have the
          necessary knowledge of XML that I feel up to the task.

          Actually, one week ago (independent of Vlad's email) I set out to start
          define an XML format plus an API on top of the DOM. I don't want to present
          my ideas prematurely, because I'd don't want to waste everyone's time with
          unready rubbish.

          Give me three more weeks and I will show you what I have got.

          Btw, Vlad: I thought about naming it XGF just as you wrote your email ;o)

          /Arno

          p.s. please disregard SGFML (currently on the web site), I didn't have a clue
          about XML back then.

          --
          SL: http://senseis.xmp.net/ -- a pot of go at the end of the rainbow
          GTL: http://gtl.jeudego.org/ -- have your own games reviewed