Re: Just some thoughts.

  • David Fotland
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24, 1998
      I use AW and AB to set up the position.

      I use PL[W] in the root node if white is to play first.

      I use TE[3] (nonstandard, please don't kill me :) to mark
      a correct solution node. I used to use TE[2], but now I translate
      that automatically to "Very Good Move", so I wanted something different.
      I'm open to suggestions here. It's easy to change for a few months.
      Maybe I should go back to using TE[2]? That's what the current shipping
      version of Many Faces uses if you create a problem.

      The next version of Many Faces will include hopefully a couple of thousand
      problems in .sgf format, and a very easy to use problem set editor, so
      it would be nice to standardize, so we can swap problem sets.

      An sgf problem set for me is just a collection of sgf game trees concatenated
      into a single file.

      I don't like ordering the variations, since sometimes the user will
      turn on next-move lettering so he can see the choices. In this case
      I don't always want the correcet answer to be 'A'.

      I use the WR or BR properties to give the strength level of the problem.

      I use the C[] property for commentary.

      I always display a whole board. For problem sets the default board size
      is 13x13, same as in Graded Go Problems. This is big enough for most
      problems.

      David Fotland

    • mueller@xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 25, 1998
        >From: David Fotland <fotland@...>

        >I use PL[W] in the root node if white is to play first.

        Agree. For completeness you could use PL[B] in the other case, but I think
        everybody will default to B if no player is specified (Arno: is it
        specified in the standard whose turn it is to play by default after a setup
        property?)

        >I use TE[3] (nonstandard, please don't kill me :) to mark
        >a correct solution node. I used to use TE[2], but now I translate
        >that automatically to "Very Good Move", so I wanted something different.
        >I'm open to suggestions here. It's easy to change for a few months.
        >Maybe I should go back to using TE[2]? That's what the current shipping
        >version of Many Faces uses if you create a problem.

        TE[3] will break everyone else's code I'm afraid. I just use TE[1] for good
        move. I consider that the most natural :)
        One strange thing I noticed in your problems is that you mark not only the
        winning side's moves by TE, but also the losing side's moves. However,
        these moves are usually bad ones. So if anything they should be marked as
        BM[1].

        >An sgf problem set for me is just a collection of sgf game trees concatenated
        >into a single file.

        I find it messy to have hundreds or thousands of tiny games. So I usually
        put a reasonable amount of problems into the same tree. That way you can
        structure problems e.g. 10 at a time. Example:

        (;GM[1]SZ[19]DT[1998-03-23]FF[3]GN[Fuseki Test]
        (;N[1-10]
        (;N[1]AB[pd][jd][fq][qp]AW[dc][ci][dn][dp]
        (;B[pj]N[7])
        (;B[kq]N[10])
        (;B[ei]N[5])
        (;B[ce]N[5]))
        (;N[2]AW[dc][ce][dn][dp]AB[fq][pq][qk][pd]
        (;B[jd]N[6])
        (;B[pg]N[5])
        (;B[jp]N[10])
        (;B[cj]N[5]))
        (;C[nodes 3..10 omitted to save space]))
        (;N[11-20]
        (;N[11]AW[dc][cd][ck][dp][fq][qj]AB[cf][ci][oq][qp][ql][pd]
        (;B[jc]N[7])
        (;B[jp]N[8])
        (;B[qg]N[10])
        (;B[ei]N[6]))
        (;N[12]AW[dc][ce][jc][qj][cp][do]AB[pd][qp][op][eq][cm][cj]
        (;B[lc]N[7])
        (;B[jq]N[8])
        (;B[cr]N[10])
        (;B[cg]N[6]))
        )
        ; C[rest omitted to save space]
        )

        >From: Jens Yllman <jens.yllman@...>

        >> I just have some thoughts about how to make and handle problem sets with
        >>SGF. What I mean is SGF files that starts with some AB[] and AW[] to set up
        >>a position.

        A setup property such as AB or AW does not need to be in the root node. You
        can set up many problems within the same file. See the example above.

        >> The other thing is that problems is often local. Do you only want to
        >>diplay the relevant portion of the board. How's the best way to do that?
        >>And how do the normal programs handle that?

        If you want you can use the view property:
        http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/h/hollosi/sgf/DD_VW.html
        Usually I find it too bothersome to set this up. People can find the
        problem on the board without trouble. If it is embedded in a messy full
        board situation, you can mark some stones or groups and then give a comment
        such as C[How can B capture/connect/save/attack/etc. the marked stones?]

        >> I'm just looking for a good way to build problem sets for training. I'm
        >>also working on some go programs. And I'm thinking of making a problem
        >>training module. But I don't know if I'm to use SGF or make my own format.
        >>If anyone has some good experience with SGF and problem sets let me know.

        I have had good experiences with using SGF for problem sets.

        Happy holidays!

        Martin