SGF Browser for PalmOS

  • awalker@xx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 1999
      I recently began programming for the 3Com's Palm Computing platform and have a question. Seeing a whole lot of talk about a new standard being released, I am questioning wether or not to begin developing a Palm implementation of the "old" standard, or wait until the new one is finalized.

      Not knowing the specifics as of yet (compatabitlity, time for adoption, etc.), I am needing any advise. Also, any pointers to information that anyone has found helpful would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Aaron Walker
      Student Computer Technician
      University of Oklahoma
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 1999
        [sorry for the delay - my first reply didn't make
        it through to the list]

        > Seeing a whole lot of talk about a new standard being released,
        > I am questioning wether or not to begin developing a Palm
        > implementation of the "old" standard, or wait until the new
        > one is finalized.

        The new one (FF5) will be compatible to the old one (FF4).
        Basically FF5 will extend FF4 in some areas. And hopefully provide
        an even better documentation. It's not clear when it will be finished.

        So you can start hacking right away. Primary source of information
        is the specification and its supplements: http://www.poboxes.com/sgf
        You also might have a look at the source of cgoban, sgfc or other
        editors where the source code is available.

        ---

        Just taking this opportunity to talk to the rest of sgf-std list:

        The discussion ended rather abruptly. Was this my fault?
        Well, I provided some pages and left the net for two weeks.
        When I came back there were no responses. Unfortunatly I am/was very
        busy with life, relocating, study, etc. I waited for someone
        to send an email before I do any further work, but noone did ;o)

        A lot of things were said about FF5 and I've plenty to think about.
        However, currently it looks like I've no (or little) time until
        summer.

        I'd like to suggest that our "Japanese division" meets with Martin
        Mueller and representatives from the Nihon Kiin. Let's see what
        features the pros really would like to see in SGF. We then use
        this as a starting point for other improvements.

        How about that?

        /Arno
      • The Nose Who Knows
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2000
          --- In sgf-std@onelist.com, awalker@... wrote:
          > I recently began programming for the 3Com's Palm Computing platform
          > and have a question. Seeing a whole lot of talk about a new standard
          > being released, I am questioning wether or not to begin developing a
          > Palm implementation of the "old" standard, or wait until the new one
          > is finalized.

          You will probably be interested in the PilotGOne product, an SGF
          recorder and playback program for PalmOS distributed under the GPL.

          <http://www.skarpsey.demon.co.uk/pilotgone.html>

          I am tooling up to make some modifications to this program (isn't
          Free Software great!), including upgrading its SGF knowledge from FF[1]
          to FF[4]; I have just joined the list so hope to be able to make FF[5]
          changes as well.

          \
          `\
          _o__) BIGNOSE