how to index the igs-files?

  • lin siming
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 1999
      Chinese Yu Bing 9P had designed a program to manage go files.
      He used a compresed go file,this is to say, many game in a file.
      As a result , his program demand a very strong index function.
      One can easy found any game by player,play-place,game time or title.
      Even the beginning of a game been indexed.

      Now my question is how we deal with index problem in our sgf files?

      I had collected hundreds sgf files, all new, but i can not manage
      them , if i need some game,i had to remembere it for a long time.

      Pls help me.
    • Hui Huang
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 16, 1999
        >Now my question is how we deal with index problem in our sgf files?
        >
        >I had collected hundreds sgf files, all new, but i can not manage
        >them , if i need some game,i had to remembere it for a long time.

        You can use WinMCT to make a collection of sgf games. It is quite easy to locate files based on properties. To go further, you can
        export the list to a text file and then use a db program such as MS Access, Foxpro etc. to import the list and put index on it.

        Actually, this whole thing can be done in MS Access alone using Visual Basic. I tried this some time ago but it was too slow. (I
        don't know VB well. This might be the problem.) I think you can do the same in other db programs.

        I think indexing is an implementation issue and shouldn't be in the standard itself.