Suggestions for FF[5]

  • Hyoungsoo Yoon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 1999
      Dear sgffers,

      Behind the deceptively simple definition of SGF written in EBNF
      (in the first page of the spec.), I discovered this enormous
      complexity ;-) Please see this *real* definition of FF[4]:

      Collection = TopLevelGameTree { TopLevelGameTree }
      TopLevelGameTree = "(" RootSequence { GameInfoGameTree } ")"
      GameInfoGameTree = "(" ( ( GameInfoSequence { GameTree } ) |
      ( Sequence
      { GameInfoGameTree } ) ) ")"
      GameTree = "(" Sequence { GameTree } ")"
      RootSequence = RootNode { NonRootNode }
      GameInfoSequence = { NonRootNode } GameInfoNode { NonRootNode }
      Sequence = NonRootNode { NonRootNode }
      RootNode = ";" ( { RootProp | MGPProp } |
      { RootProp | SGPProp } )
      NonRootNode = ( MoveNode | SetupNode )
      MoveNode = ";" { MoveProp | GenericProp | PrivateProp }
      SetupNode = ";" { SetupProp | GenericProp | PrivateProp }
      GameInfoNode = ";" ( { MGPProp } GameInfoProp
      { GameInfoProp | MGPProp } ) |
      ( { SGPProp } GameInfoProp
      { GameInfoProp | SGPProp } )

      MGPProp = ( MoveProp | GenericProp | PrivateProp )
      SGPProp = ( SetupProp | GenericProp | PrivateProp )

      [... the rest deleted ...]
      Please view the complete definition from
      http://www.vilab.com/bgml/sgf4.html

      I suppose anybody who has written parsers (implicitly or explicitly)
      has used something like this. The current spce is, I believe, more
      difficult to understand than necessary partly because it lacks
      precise defintion in EBNF. (I had to spend the whole week before
      I got this *overview* of the spec. Many pieces of information is
      scattered around the spec in the name of "remarks" and things like that.)

      In any case, I'd like to propose that we include more *rigorous*
      defintion of SGF (e.g. in EBNF) into FF[5].

      Best regards,
      Hyoungsoo