update & thoughts

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 1998
      Hi all,

      as I pointed out in my first email, I'd like to make
      a minor revision of FF[4]. I'm going to go through
      the spec more thoroughly during the holidays and
      will come up with more proposals then.

      Everyone is welcome to send their suggestions.
      I'd like to expand the SGF User Guide as well - making
      it a sort of SGF FAQ for users who encounter SGF files
      for the first time, or get slightly corrupted SGF files
      via news or email. Help appreciated :o)

      Here's are some items I can think about right now.

      - remove OT and make TM a text property.
      It seems that timing is just too diverse to be unified.

      - allow non-standard entries in strictly defined game-info
      properties if (and only if) the case is not covered by the
      definition

      - add a flag to FG for ignoring all other flags
      (this was suggested by someone)

      - make parsing of SimpleText and Text similar. This refers
      to the softline-break. I.e. the softline break should be
      possible in SimpleText as well. Benefits: it's possible
      to use the same parsing routine for SimpleText & Text and
      in case of SimpleText one needs only to subsitute all
      linebreaks with space afterwards. SimpleText values may be
      truncated in the output file as well, to limit the line
      length.

      - add a better description for variations (I had several
      questions about them).

      - allow HA[0]
      Does HA[1] make sense? I don't think so.
      allow old-style handicap, e.g.sen-ai-sen HA[bbw]

      - add some information for creating private properties
      E.g. ']' has to be escaped!

      Can you come up with important cases, which are not covered
      by the spec? Propose a solution.

      So, if you can think about odd things in FF[4] let me know.
      Also if you've suggestions for other improvements, like the
      SGF User Guide, the example file, or SGFC please let me know.

      Furthermore I'd appreciate if application coders would send
      a list of which properties are supported by their programs.
      And a list of which things they plan to add next. Same goes
      for handling of text values, game-info etc.

      And please: use SGFC to verify the output of your applications!!
      As you know, I'm also the co-maintainer of the Go Teaching Ladder
      and receive SGF files writtem by many different programs.
      And almost every 3rd-4th file is corrupt!! In most cases
      variations make problems. As I said I intend to explain them in
      more detail in the spec.

      Use the syntax checker, please!
      Use the syntax checker, please!
      Use the syntax checker, please!

      I hope to hear from you. I'm back around January 3rd.
      Thanks for your help and support.

      Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

      /Arno
    • Francois Mizessyn
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 23, 1998
        Arno Hollosi wrote:

        > - allow HA[0]
        > Does HA[1] make sense? I don't think so.
        > allow old-style handicap, e.g.sen-ai-sen HA[bbw]

        For example, HA[1] could be useful:
        - to display an info such as "Handicap : 1" when printing a game
        - to display a correct info in a dialog where a user can change the
        handicap of an existing game without any obscure calculations on the
        komi value
        - to simplify a request for even games in a database
        - ...

        Moreover, if HA[0] is allow, does to forbid HA[1] make sense? :-)

        --
        Amicalement, FRANCOIS MIZESSYN
        http://perso.wanadoo.fr/francois.mizessyn/