274Re: SGF question regarding CA property

    Aug 18, 2006
      Dear Christian,

      I'm CCing the sgf-std list, as I guess this is of interest to others as
      well.

      > I've read http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/properties.html#CA, but it's
      > not clear to me what values the and the CA property can have.
      >
      > I understand that "US-ASCII" and "ISO-8859-1" are legal values
      > according to RFC 1345, but my gGo 1.0 generated properties like
      > "CA[UTF-8]" and as far as I can see, this isn't defined by RFC 1345,
      > so I'd think this would be an illegal value. Am I missing something?

      Technically speaking you are right. De facto, just about all programs
      that are able to deal with characters outside Latin1 use UTF-8 encoding.
      I guess I should update the spec to make UTF-8 (and maybe other Unicode
      encodings such as UTF-16) legal values as well.

      > Do you know to what extent SGF parsers actually deal with all the
      > character sets RFC 1345 defines? For example, how is Japanese
      > typically dealt with in terms of SGF?

      UTF-8.

      Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I shall update the spec soonish.

      regards,