Mufon Launches Study Of UFO Abduction Experience

  • antigray@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      Mufon Launches Study Of UFO Abduction Experience
      by Marcia Jedd
      The woman describes floating through her bedroom wall, as if levitating into
      a beam of blue light. She recollects only portions of her experience later
      while under hypnosis: being brought onto a small ship by short gray beings. One
      of the intruders appears to direct the team of abductors. Once led onto the
      craft, a taller being leads an examination where intricate procedures are
      performed. Nearby, she senses a female being who uses gestures to comfort her. She
      sees no other humans present.

      To many, that story may be a familiar one in the realm of the
      human-extraterrestrial encounter. But delving into the nuances and minutiae across cases is
      where some believe real discoveries may be made. One large research project in
      the U.S. today attempts to get at the particulars of the alien abduction
      phenomenon and to unravel, if possible, any alien agendas.

      The Abduction Transcription Project, sponsored by the Mutual UFO Network, or
      MUFON, is perhaps the most comprehensive and ambitious research study to date
      in the field of alien abductions. Dan Wright, MUFON member and board member,
      launched the project in 1992 with the goal to uncover commonalities in alien
      abductions.

      When people scattered across the country refer to a short being in terms of
      the same physical characteristics, garment and a certain musty smell, one must
      pay attention, says Wright, project director of the Abduction Transcription
      Project. Or if a tall being is wearing a black wetsuit-type garment, is he
      wearing a belt? If so, does the belt have a black box on it? Such levels of detail
      are required to begin to grasp more fully and even, perhaps, begin to make
      sense of the phenomenon.

      Descriptions of an entity may include height, skin tone, garment type and
      garment color. That entity's behavior may be described as caring, manipulative,
      threatening or humorous. Entity Behavior and Entity Communication, for
      example, are among the 53 general categories Wright tracks. The project uses verbatim
      transcripts from the abductee's or subject's actual descriptions, which are
      fed into Wright's database to glean over 2,000 words and phrases used as
      descriptors. These descriptors are then classified into the general categories or
      what Wright calls root factors. Topics here include references to the subject's
      description of entity appearance, a ship's outward appearance, interior
      layout, paranormal elements and post-event effects.

      The Abduction Transcription Project is a private study which relies on
      transcripts of audiocassette-recorded sessions from some 19 of the U.S.'s leading
      abduction researchers, many of whom are psychology professionals, licensed or
      registered hypnotherapists, doctors, scientists and engineers. The project's
      contributors have included: Ann Druffel, Richard Haines, Richard Hall, David
      Jacobs and the late Karla Turner. Many contributors are testing their own
      abduction hypotheses. By not publicizing certain hypotheses, researchers continue to
      test their ideas separately and attempt to make sense of the seemingly random
      or anomalous abduction data.

      At present, the Abduction Transcription database consists of 254 cases,
      incorporating over 700 sessions between researchers and subjects, primarily in
      dialogue from regressive hypnosis sessions, and some interviews with the subject
      in a fully conscious state. While each researcher may use different methods
      and procedures, Wright says the typical case may stretch beyond 100 pages of
      data. Some researchers, such as David Jacobs, may just do one interview session
      with a subject, while others, such as Richard Haines, often ask the same
      question three different ways to determine the validity of an answer.

      Regressive hypnosis is not an exact science. However, because of the nature
      of abductions where much of the experience may not be easily or consciously
      recalled, it remains one of the best tools available. Cognitive interviewing is
      another recognized technique where the subject is asked questions. As Wright
      admits, there is a level of contamination associated with any research project;
      however, the project helps to overcome that by using a multitude of skilled,
      independent sources.

      Wright is in the unique position to draw conclusions or make detailed
      observations from the data, uncovering both commonalities and anomalies or what he
      calls odd factors. One example is a finding that the great majority of abductees
      don't report seeing any railings within the spaceship or tour area. But
      Wright found several cases where rail guards were reported and within these cases
      research has found commonalities such as the types of beings found on these
      ships.

      From his analysis of the case data, Wright is in a position to make
      fascinating observations about alleged alien entities, their behavior and how they
      work. One thing is clear from the data: there appear to be a number of different
      types or groups of entities with varying abilities and significant evolutional
      differences. For example, some aliens may simply place their hand on the
      subject's forehead to induce loss of consciousness or memory, while others
      administer a liquid syrup as anesthetic.

      Interestingly, Wright says it is clear most entity groups use short grays
      for performing the actual abduction. An away team of short white, gray or blue
      beings abduct the subject from the home or auto, but usually have no other
      observed function, says Wright. Additional entities aboard the ship likewise seem
      to have more narrowly defined duties. Taller beings are often contained within
      the ship and nearly always appear to hold the most authority. One taller
      being usually doesn't leave the ship. He is often referred to as a doctor; but
      he's clearly in charge, says Wright. Assistants to the doctor may be short or
      tall, but usually tend to be taller. Less appears to be known about the taller
      beings who stay on the ship, and certainly the media and abduction stories tend
      to focus on the short grays.

      BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY

      Depending on the type of being, technological advancements and perceived
      missions may vary widely. In the majority of cases, abductions are made via a
      beam of light used for levitation, as a way to get the subject into the ship,
      whether from the home or by being led outside to walk into a beam. Beams are
      often white or bluish white. Odd factors among light beams appear in several cases
      where subjects describe dust flecks or particles within the beam. The
      particles tell me that this is probably a completely separate mechanism for
      levitation, says Wright. Or, in a smaller number of cases, the subject physically walks
      onto the ship without observing light beams.

      Wright has found few predictable patterns or broad commonalities across the
      database of abductions. However, in addition to the generalizations made here,
      Wright has been able to make some other findings. While a large number of
      abductions involve small craft with a single round room, a significant number
      involve larger ships with numerous rooms, each for a particular purpose and
      separated by hallways. The majority of cases are solo abductions, where the subject
      sees no other humans or human-like beings. Interactions with or sighting of
      other humans and humanoids by the subject have occurred in one-third of the
      cases. Distinct commonalities exist across numerous cases such as details of a
      hybrid's appearance or humanoid's uniform, or an immense cave to which the
      subject is led. Paranormal activity is somewhat common to abduction events,
      primarily in auditory form, such as unexplained footsteps or crashing noises heard in
      the abductee's home.

      Odd factors include subjects looking down and seeing four long fingers, but
      being unable to find a mirror to look at themselves. There are also instances
      where subjects are seemingly lured by animals, such as a deer or owl, which
      are soon recognized as alien. The notion of an animal is what is first plugged
      into their mind, says Wright.

      Mental telepathy or thought transference is often described. Information is
      conveyed to the subject in an instant from the entity. The aliens also have
      some mysterious ways at getting subjects to forget all or parts of an abduction
      experience, apparently achieved by manipulating the subject's concept of time.

      In many cases, the beings use telepathy both for general communication and
      to communicate to the subject the need to forget the experience, rather than
      any spoken post-hypnotic suggestion. In a few cases, the being places his hand
      or fingers on the subject's forehead, seemingly to erase memory of the event.

      Most subjects are unable to recall the entire event, but the great majority
      remember some of the onboard experience. Some don't recall getting there or
      coming back; they just remember a few minutes on the examining table, says
      Wright.

      ALIEN AGENDAS

      Of the proverbial alien agenda', Wright stresses that groups of beings, each
      with varying levels of abilities, skill sets and technologies, often
      communicate disparate missions to the subject.

      Contrary to belief that all abductees are traumatized, probed or otherwise
      harassed, Wright says reproduction is only one of several themes which dominate
      the cases, and a case may have more than one theme. The major underlying
      themes are:

      > Reproduction, sperm and ova are removed, with the most common procedure the
      > removal of ova. In some cases, embryo implants are made and/or aborted from
      > female subjects.
      > Connection to the aliens or kinship, the subject reaches the conclusion of
      > an innate connection with alien captors which transcends this lifetime as a
      > human. The abductee feels like a fish out of water in their own family, or
      > otherwise disconnected from humanity.
      > A mission, beings communicate to abductees that information is being planted
      > in their minds which they'll later use, whether technical concepts, notions
      > of some great contribution to society, human-alien liaisons, or other
      > high-minded purposes.
      > Destruction of the earth, the subject is shown images of future events,
      > often involving geophysical catastrophe. This save the planet theme has nearly
      > replaced that of nuclear destruction from earlier cases. Some are led to
      > believe they will be safe or otherwise removed from any earth disasters.
      > Government's involvement, the subject sees military or para-military
      > personnel working alongside entities or is otherwise led to believe that the
      > government is involved in working with alien entities.

      Some 19 cases involve underground caves and in a few of these the subject has
      observed military working alongside entities, often sitting at computer
      equipment. Separately, only two cases involve underground facilities where the room
      appears manmade and not a cave. Men In Black', despite the popularity of the
      mysterious government agent image, are a thing of the past, says Wright. They
      don't appear in his database. However, straight military intelligence or other
      type of agents do appear, often to intimidate the subject as guys in
      fatigues, says Wright.
      Wright stresses that while the ongoing study uses quantitative analysis
      techniques, at this point the data isn't statistically reliable or projectable
      because of the low sample numbers. However, patterns and odd factors found will
      over time, it is hoped, help to unravel the giant mystery of the abduction
      phenomenon. To that end, Wright says, The ongoing objective of the project is to
      provide quality data to participants and other UFO researchers with a legitimate
      interest. ULTIMATE ENDS

      As to any grand purpose for abductions, Wright says, I believe we are a
      progeny of one or more of these groups of beings, that we are in effect their
      genetic cousins. That is why they travel great distances of space and time to get
      here.
      Wright and many others, such as the late Carl Sagan, have argued that
      abductions beg the question of why aliens would care to come to our star system
      toward the edge of this galaxy to interact with humans, who, by all accounts, are
      not at their level of intelligence or evolution? One salient answer comes back
      to Wright's suggested rationale: we are connected at a fundamental level with
      these beings going back to our evolutional beginnings.
      Wright plans to continue the project indefinitely. Of the denial of the
      abduction phenomenon by many today, he says, over time, the great numbers getting
      plugged into my computer are going to wash away all the criticism.

      Marcia Jedd is a journalist and marketing researcher. As a journalist her
      specialties are earth-bound transportation and travel. She watches the skies from
      Minneapolis, MN.