Middle Earth Ball - Saturday Feb 2

  • Shagtime@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
      Something a little different. For those who like to dress up in costume.
      Ballroom dances and set dances will be done to Celtic, Celtic Fusion, and
      Ballroom dance music. Swing, waltz, polkas and reels.

      Michael M
      <>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

      The Middle Earth Ball
      (sponsored by the Period Events & Entertainments Re-Creation Society)
      Saturday, February 2, 2002
      at the Masonic Lodge of San Mateo

      Tickets will be available at the door at $20.00 each for PEERS' Middle
      Earth Ball. Doors open at 7:00 p.m. Since the hall is almost certainly
      going to be cold at 7:00, we'd like to warn our guests in advance to dress
      for it. As those who attended the Victorian Christmas Ball will remember,
      the hall was nice and warm by the third dance of the First Set (which
      starts at 8:00). By the end of the first set, people were already asking to
      have the windows opened. This - in case anyone asks - is why a ballroom
      should never be heated in advance!

      While we are providing a very nice snack buffet for the ball (and potluck
      contributions are very welcome),, this will be an evening of vigorous
      dancing and you may want to have an early dinner. There are a variety of
      restaurants in downtown San Mateo - which is easy walking distance from the
      Masonic Lodge of San Mateo. There is usually plenty of street parking near
      the hall but, of course, parking is much easier to find early in the evening.

      And here is our latest Ball update.

      ONE BALL TO RULE THEM ALL!

      Saturday, February 2, 2002
      at the Masonic Lodge of San Mateo
      100 North Ellsworth Avenue (at Tilton)
      San Mateo, CA
      Doors Open: 7:00 p.m.
      Dance Lesson: 7:15 p.m.
      Dancing begins at 8:00 p.m.
      Tickets at the door: $20.00

      Tickets are available for PEERS' Middle Earth Ball, an epic ball of High
      Fantasy inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Humans, hobbits,
      elves, wizards, Dark Lords, shield maidens, and fair ladies from any part
      of Middle Earth and from any other fantasy universe are welcome to attend
      and help create the evening's magic.

      Suggested attire for the ball is Medieval, Renaissance, Pre-Raphaelite or
      Fantasy costume. Historical, literary, cinema-based or original costumes
      are all welcome. For costume inspiration we recommend Peter Jackson's
      amazing new adaption of "The Fellowship of the Ring," but at the request of
      the lady Galadriel and in the interest of preserving both lives and
      costumes, all weapons must be peace-bonded and are forbidden on the dance
      floor. As usual at PEERS events, costumes are admired but not required.
      Expect, however, to see some of the most gorgeous creations in the Knowne
      World at the event.

      The enchantingly talented Leigh Ann Hussey (of Annwn fame) and her new
      band, Nuit, will play a wide variety of Celtic, Celtic Fusion and 19th and
      20th century ballroom dance music. Waltz, polka, rock, Swing and reel to
      their wondrously diverse music. Set dances will, as usual, be taught or
      called at the ball.

      Punch and a light snack buffet will be served and, as usual, potluck
      contributions to Mistress Goldberry's kitchen will be greatly appreciated.

      If you have any questions about the event, please call (510) 522-1731 or
      email peers@... before noon on Saturday.

      Directions to the San Mateo Masonic Lodge (also known as the San Mateo
      Masonic Temple): Take the 3rd Avenue Exit off 101, going west into San
      Mateo. Follow 3rd Avenue across the railroad tracks, and turn right on
      Ellsworth Avenue. The Masonic Lodge, a large three-story Colonial-Revival
      building, is located on the corner of Ellsworth and Tilton.

      PERIOD EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENTS RE-CREATION SOCIETY INC.
      J.E. Myers - Executive Director
      C.M. Myers - Artistic Director
      Nunc est Bibendum, Nunc Pede Libero Pulsanda Tellus
      (510) 522-1731 http://www.peers.org
    • Suzanne Long Glennon
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
        How incredibly cool! I sure wish I still lived in the
        Bay Area.

        Suzanne

        =====
        http://auctions.yahoo.com