Newbie seeks first robot advice

  • richard.soennichsen@philips.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2000
      I am considering building a robot, just for fun. I would like
      something that detects obstacles, responds to noise, follows walls
      etc. I have surfed the web and found a book at the library but I
      would like to get advice from those "who have been there". I have
      alot of experience programming 8051 based micros. Here is what I am
      thinking:

      Two wheels + castor (round robot)
      ir sensors
      two motors (one per wheel)

      The "brain" will be a Philips 89c51rx2 demo board which will let me
      burn code in reapeatly to Flash ROM through the PC serial port. Can
      use RC servo motors to drive the wheels? (because I have some!) Or
      else I can program a PWM signal from the micro. If I can use the
      servos where can I find info on how to drive them?

      Thanks Richard