[sfrsa] robo sumo

  • sam
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29 5:49 PM
      Hello,
      I've just started studying robotics for my honours thesis topic at
      Tasmanian University, Australia, and I'm looking specifically at robot sumo
      with the mindstorm kit. The Uni also has interest in using the mindstorms
      kit for a robotics course in future years, using sumo as a specific example.

      It would be of much value if you could send me information on some
      (preferably winning) robots and their technical specifics (no. of sensors
      and what type, no. of motors, design, etc.), or who to contact.

      A reply would be much appreciated.

      Thankyou,
      Sam McLennan.
    • Mark Medonis
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
        Hello!
        Always happy to have more people building sumo robots.
        Here is my summary of the United States sumo winners:

        The two big U.S. winners in robot sumo both use very
        powerful motor/drive systems with drive wheels providing
        high traction. The Beast, winner in San Francisco, uses
        radio control car motors with a custom gear train. Final drive
        are timing belts, tank tread fashion, and the belts have a natural
        rubber coating for maximum traction.

        The Boxster, winner of the Seattle Robothon robot sumo, uses
        surplus power window drive motors from a Kia automobile.
        They are 12V, with worm gear drive so have very high torque.
        Final drive are two wheels, made from plywood, coated with
        black silicone adhesive, used to make gaskets and available from
        the hardware store.

        Both have similar electronics, using IR sensors on the bottom of the
        robot to detect the ring edge and a program that moves the robot
        in a star shape around the sumo ring.

        Both robots have also added vacuum suction to assist in traction,
        which the winning Japanese sumo robots use.

        There is more info on robot sumo, including rules, on the Sine
        robotics website:
        http://www.sinerobotics.com/

        And if Carlo or Daryl, the winning sumo robot builders, find any
        errors in my rough summary please let me know.

        Mark Medonis