Nice Mini-Sumo Wheels from Parallax

  • rickwashburn
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
      David Caulkins suggested I check out these mini-sumo wheels (partno
      700-00013 @ $5.61) offered by Parallax (www.parallaxinc.com) after
      having some difficulty finding servo horns suitable for my existing
      acrylic wheels. Ordered yesterday, received today, and they are
      fantastic! I'm not sure if they have been machined or molded, but are
      made of a very hard, white, plastic (delrin?) similar to what is used
      for servo geartrains. They are 2.25" diameter, and have a slotted
      edge which holds a companion o-ring "tire" (700-00011 @ $.50) very
      nicely. The best part is the hub - it is precisely the same
      configuration as the hub of a standard servo horn, and fits directly
      on a servo output shaft - splines and all! The size is a little
      smaller than "standard" mini-sumos usually use (around 2.75"), but
      the smaller diameter will yield slightly higher torque - pushing
      power. A great option if you're building a mini Sumo.

      Anyone else come across other wheel options that would be of interest
      for mini-sumos or other servo-powered bots?

      Rick Washburn
      SFRSA
    • Luther Burrell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
        Those wheels are nice, I have a pair for my BOE-Bot. I am also trying out
        some wheels originally intended for RC aircraft landing gear. They come
        in various dimensions and have a small axle hole. So they would mount
        somewhat similar to the 3" foam wheel tutorial at www.acroname.com. I am
        about to test a sumo using these wheels so maybe we will see come March
        20th.

        Luther

        --- rickwashburn <rwashbur@...> wrote:
        > David Caulkins suggested I check out these mini-sumo wheels (partno
        > 700-00013 @ $5.61) offered by Parallax (www.parallaxinc.com) after
        > having some difficulty finding servo horns suitable for my existing
        > acrylic wheels. Ordered yesterday, received today, and they are
        > fantastic! I'm not sure if they have been machined or molded, but are
        > made of a very hard, white, plastic (delrin?) similar to what is used
        > for servo geartrains. They are 2.25" diameter, and have a slotted
        > edge which holds a companion o-ring "tire" (700-00011 @ $.50) very
        > nicely. The best part is the hub - it is precisely the same
        > configuration as the hub of a standard servo horn, and fits directly
        > on a servo output shaft - splines and all! The size is a little
        > smaller than "standard" mini-sumos usually use (around 2.75"), but
        > the smaller diameter will yield slightly higher torque - pushing
        > power. A great option if you're building a mini Sumo.
        >
        > Anyone else come across other wheel options that would be of interest
        > for mini-sumos or other servo-powered bots?
        >
        > Rick Washburn
        > SFRSA

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • topazx2
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
          The Parallax Vinal wheels are being discontinued. They will be
          replaced by injection molded ABS wheels that a guy from Our Southern
          Oregon group designed and is selling to them. We are using these brand
          new wheels on the MarkIII mini-sumo kit that I've been helping the
          PARTS group design and build. The new wheels are not availible
          through Parallax yet, they should be by early March. These wheels have
          better grip, using a flat surface rather than a rounded O-ring. You
          can take a look at a finished one at:
          http://www.1sorc.com/gallery/gallery.html
          Our group will also be selling these wheels, and since we are all part
          of RSA...

          --- In sfrsa@y..., Luther Burrell <knabo99@y...> wrote:
          > Those wheels are nice, I have a pair for my BOE-Bot. I am also
          trying out
          > some wheels originally intended for RC aircraft landing gear. They
          come
          > in various dimensions and have a small axle hole. So they would
          mount
          > somewhat similar to the 3" foam wheel tutorial at www.acroname.com.
          I am
          > about to test a sumo using these wheels so maybe we will see come
          March
          > 20th.
          >
          > Luther
          >
          > --- rickwashburn <rwashbur@p...> wrote:
          > > David Caulkins suggested I check out these mini-sumo wheels
          (partno
          > > 700-00013 @ $5.61) offered by Parallax (www.parallaxinc.com) after
          > > having some difficulty finding servo horns suitable for my
          existing
          > > acrylic wheels. Ordered yesterday, received today, and they are
          > > fantastic! I'm not sure if they have been machined or molded, but
          are
          > > made of a very hard, white, plastic (delrin?) similar to what is
          used
          > > for servo geartrains. They are 2.25" diameter, and have a slotted
          > > edge which holds a companion o-ring "tire" (700-00011 @ $.50) very
          > > nicely. The best part is the hub - it is precisely the same
          > > configuration as the hub of a standard servo horn, and fits
          directly
          > > on a servo output shaft - splines and all! The size is a little
          > > smaller than "standard" mini-sumos usually use (around 2.75"), but
          > > the smaller diameter will yield slightly higher torque - pushing
          > > power. A great option if you're building a mini Sumo.
          > >
          > > Anyone else come across other wheel options that would be of
          interest
          > > for mini-sumos or other servo-powered bots?
          > >
          > > Rick Washburn
          > > SFRSA

          > http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • topazx2
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
            That should read Nylon, I don't know what I was thinking.

          • stan_eye_am
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2002
              Rick,

              I have been using those wheels on my Growbot for some time. I don't
              know if they are still using the same size O-ring but mine keep
              slipping off. In fact I've been thinking of trying to get some others
              to see if they will work better. It's not a huge problem - it has
              never happened when the robot was operating - but when handling the
              robot I have to be very careful not to bump the "tire". I have heard
              some people use some sort of glue to prevent this but I have no idea
              what kind of glue would work (reliably) to hold rubber to nylon.

              The wheel the guy from S.O. mentioned looks nice. You have to click
              on "misc. pics" once you are at the link tho.

              Stan