[sfrsa] Re: Group membership

  • sgc@dolby.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 1999
      Here's a thought - how about requiring membership (i.e. $$) in order to
      be on this list? I have never paid any dues for this group so I am not
      taking a "spendier than thou" position. I think the group needs more
      organization (which means more time from some people of course) but
      maybe more $$ would help as well. I've never been approached for dues
      and don't know if anyone actually pays them.

      Anyway, food for thought

      Stan

      "joe miller" <jo-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/sfrsa/?start=2
      > Hey,
      >
      > I guess we're on!
      >
      > I can see that there's only three of us, but give it a month. We
      should let Roger know, and ask him to broadcast information about this
      group since he is the keeper of the email list. Hopefully that will get
      the word out. I have been passing the word to members that I have been
      talking to and I can see that Stan has signed up.

      > Perhaps Cliff could mention on the welcome email that a member gets
      when they are confirmed registered to spread the word to members that
      they are in touch with.

      > Joe

      -----------------------
      > Joe MIller KC6WTF
      > Positive Logic Engineering
      > joe@... joe@...
      > www.positivelogic.net
    • Joe Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 1999
        Stan,
        Hum, Now thats a tough one. I don't know. thats sound kind of exclusive and
        prohibitive. besides, then someone has to keep track of the money, the
        people, the flow. I think the group has got to get more organized and
        comunicating more to handle this.

        Any way it may not do much good bringing all this up now. Presently there's
        only 4 people signed up on this list so far. we've got to get more ears.

      • sgc@dolby.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 1999
          Joe,

          (logging on for the first time in quite a while!)

          I guess how prohibitive it is depends on the amount. I think current
          dues are listed on the SFRSA site as $25/yr. This should be neither
          prohibitive nor exclusive.

          I agree though that for groups like this, you don't want to create
          barriers for membership. At some point though, the group will benefit
          from more money and more comittment (money = comittment !). Also, as a
          practical matter, it would be difficult and unwise to restrict access
          to the meetings but it is simple to restrict access to this site. Then,
          if the members decide this site has value (if it were constantly
          referred to in meetings, etc.) there would be the incentive to join.

          Regarding bringing it up now, isn't it better to bring it up before
          everyone gets access for free?

          Stan

          "joe miller" <joemille-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/sfrsa/?start=7
          > Stan,
          > Hum, Now thats a tough one. I don't know. thats sound kind of
          exclusive and
          > prohibitive. besides, then someone has to keep track of the money, the
          > people, the flow. I think the group has got to get more organized and
          > comunicating more to handle this.
          >
          > Any way it may not do much good bringing all this up now. Presently
          there's
          > only 4 people signed up on this list so far. we've got to get more
          ears.

        • Joe Miller
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 1999
            > I guess how prohibitive it is depends on the amount. I think current
            > dues are listed on the SFRSA site as $25/yr. This should be neither
            > prohibitive nor exclusive.

            Thats not bad, I guess your right.

            > I agree though that for groups like this, you don't want to create
            > barriers for membership. At some point though, the group will benefit
            > from more money and more comittment (money = comittment !). Also, as a
            > practical matter, it would be difficult and unwise to restrict access
            > to the meetings but it is simple to restrict access to this site. Then,
            > if the members decide this site has value (if it were constantly
            > referred to in meetings, etc.) there would be the incentive to join.
            >
            > Regarding bringing it up now, isn't it better to bring it up before
            > everyone gets access for free?

            Perhaps students and minors could be free.
            IN FACT having a registration for childeren would be great! I think we
            should sup up the lego competition. And having their names and addresses we
            (got to use that 'we' word carefully around voluteer organizations) could
            send them Info about the comp. to keep thier interest up. They'd also feel
            like they belong to something special!

            > Stan
            >
            > > Hum, Now thats a tough one. I don't know. thats sound kind of
            > exclusive and
            > > prohibitive. besides, then someone has to keep track of the money, the
            > > people, the flow. I think the group has got to get more organized and
            > > comunicating more to handle this.

            (we) still would need a volunteer to be treasurer

            Joe