[sfrsa] Help!

  • Bruce Battle
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2000
      Help!

      This may sound like an odd request, but Im running out of resources. Maybe someone in your organization can help me.

      You see, I recently stumbled on a product that I had never previously seen or heard about. Apparently, my father was going to give it as a present to my brother and myself, but forgot about it in the attic. My parents retired and moved and we found it during the move.

      The product itself was made in 1986 by Axlon. I've done a little research and discovered Axlon was created by Nolan Bushnell, creater of Pong and founder of Atari. Axlon, aparently, was his foray in to the world of robotics, e.g. A.G. Bear http://the-office.com/bedtime-story/aghistory.htm and the "Andy" robots http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n12/profiles.html .Maybe you know all this.

      Anyway, the product I have is called "Techforce" with the full title reading "Maximum Power, Ultimate Control." They appear to be remote controlled robots that you could fight against with a friend or actually program so you could fight against the computer.

      Here's some of the info off the box:

      Company Name: Axlon

      Product Title: TECH FORCE, "Maximum Power Ultimate Control"
      07220

      Serial # TF12204
      1986

      Notes on Front of Packaging: Computerized Strategy- Action Battle Set
         € Remote Control Action
         € Programmable Computer Command Consoles
         € Enemy-Stunning Invazer (no typo on "Invazer")Beams

      Set Includes:
         2 Computer Cosoles
         2 Motorized Drive Bases
         2 Drive Base Caps
         4 Prog. Figures
         2 Energy Crystals
         3 Battle Barriers
         2 Set Prog. I.D. Tags

         Instruction Manual Comic Book
         Insturction ref. Cards

      Inside Flap Propoganda
        "Battle your opponent w/Direct Figure Control!"
        "Battle computer while it controls the enemy!"
        "Outmaneuver your opponent with strategic programming!"

      My brother and I are baffled by this product. I had no clue as to what "Axlon" even was. SInce it's never been opened, and considering the connection to Axlon and N. Bushnell, we wonder if it may be worth something. Any ideas on who to contact? Or has anyone there even HEARD of this?

      Thanks in advance!
    • Toni Thompson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2000
        Help!
        Hi, Bruce! Let me suggest that you and your brother hang onto those Tech Force guys until you consult a toy collector's guide! Amazon has a number of them for sale! You can, of course, list the toy for sale on e-bay, but I checked the active and past listings and there are curretnly none for Tech Force which suggests that they may be somewhat rare. The AG Bear' on sale at e-bay are currently going for $100 and over. I would possibly be interested in buying the 'bots from you once you find out what the collector's value is.

        As you found out, Axlon was a venture of Nolan Bushnell's. Tech Force was one of the lesser known toys that came our of it. According to ICWhen, http://www.icwhen.com, the chronological history of video games and computers:

        FEBRUARY (1986)
        • Mr. Nolan Bushnell unveils Tech Force; an assortment of radio-controlled dolls that play computer game programs at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
        You can find additional articles on Bushnell at the following URL's.

        Good luck and happy hunting!

        Toni Thompson
        Webbotchick, San Francisco Robotics Society
[...]

        Be sure to visit our web site at http://www.robots.org.
        Click Here
        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/sfrsa