[sfrsa] Windows or Stamp

  • dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2000
      Hello everyone,

      I was just about to start on my robot's Stamp brain (I don't have the
      Stamp unit quite yet) when I started wondering if it would be
      easier/more practical to design a windows based robot. I have a
      laptop, which I'm pretty sure is powerful enough. (Pentium 133mhz
      80megs ram) I have almost no knowledge of visual basic or other PC
      languages. However, I do have the materials to learn and am very
      "computer literate." I was just curious whether I should go with
      Windows based or Stamp based. I am open to either. Pros and Cons?
      Opinions? Thanks mucho for any info, and I hope to be able to attend a
      meeting if I get a break on histroy homework.

      -Dave-
    • Mark Medonis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2000
        Hello Dave-
        Your Windows machine is certainly powerful in many ways. However
        it is lacking in a few very important ways that impact robot building.

        The main thing is I/O. How do you have the PC turn a relay on/off, or
        turn a motor on/off? Or move a hobby servo? You would have to
        add on some extra hardware. The Stamp is ready to go to run a hobby
        servo, for example, just hook up the wires. Your PC would need some
        extra stuff, a custom circuit attached to the PC's serial port for instance.

        Mark Medonis

        > I was just about to start on my robot's Stamp brain (I don't have the
        > Stamp unit quite yet) when I started wondering if it would be
        > easier/more practical to design a windows based robot. I have a
        > laptop, which I'm pretty sure is powerful enough. (Pentium 133mhz
        > 80megs ram) I have almost no knowledge of visual basic or other PC
        > languages. However, I do have the materials to learn and am very
        > "computer literate." I was just curious whether I should go with
        > Windows based or Stamp based. I am open to either. Pros and Cons?
        > Opinions? Thanks mucho for any info, and I hope to be able to attend a
        > meeting if I get a break on histroy homework.
        >
        > -Dave-

        > Be sure to visit our web site at http://www.robots.org

        > Need a cure for the used car blues? iMotors pre-owned cars
        > are: priced below Blue Book; fully tested & certified; &
        > carry a 7 day/700 mile money back guarantee. Look no further
        > iMotors.com is here!

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=sfrsa&m=1

      • robert moretz
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2000
          I wish i know, but i am an advocate of experimention,
          but I have to say anyone will probably do.

          http://click.egroups.com/1/410/0/_/13629/_/947571083/

          http://im.yahoo.com