Re: [sfrsa] IR interference in Exploratorium?

  • Mark Medonis
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2001
      Actually, the IR interference is mainly from the sunlight that comes in over
      the floor space where the robot event is held. Typical overhead lighting is
      not very strong in the IR ranges commonly used in LED's. Sunlight, on the
      other hand, has loads of IR.

      How to avoid? The same way your own eyes do, put a visor over your sensor if
      it is a horizontal looking one. Also, modulation of the sensor signal is a
      big help in raising the S/N ratio.

      Mark Medonis

      > From: kmagri@...
      > Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 04:03:29 -0000
      > To: sfrsa@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [sfrsa] IR interference in Exploratorium?
      >
      > Hello, roboteers!
      >
      > I recall hearing something about an SFRSA robot event in the
      > Exploratorium in which the overhead lights caused a lot of
      > interference for the robots' sensors. Can anyone clarify what the
      > issue was with the lights? Was there a lot of IR interference?
      >
      > I am working on a sumo robot for the upcoming games and wondering
      > whether to use infrared or ultrasonic sensors for detecting the other
      > robot. I have both sensors and could use either.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Kris Magri
      >
      > (PS I think the infrared module uses a modulated signal Sharp GPD202
      > or some such)
      >

      > Be sure to visit our web site at http://www.robots.org

    • David Calkins - RSA
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2001
        The interference is from the sunlight - and we'll be masking the panels before the games (anyone else wanna go on the roof with me...)

        At 04:03 20-09-01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hello, roboteers!
        >
        >I recall hearing something about an SFRSA robot event in the
        >Exploratorium in which the overhead lights caused a lot of
        >interference for the robots' sensors. Can anyone clarify what the
        >issue was with the lights? Was there a lot of IR interference?
        >
        >I am working on a sumo robot for the upcoming games and wondering
        >whether to use infrared or ultrasonic sensors for detecting the other
        >robot. I have both sensors and could use either.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Kris Magri
        >
        >(PS I think the infrared module uses a modulated signal Sharp GPD202
        >or some such)

        -David Calkins, President
        Robotics Society of America
        http://www.robots.org