Robot Club of Traverse City, MI meeting 9/15/01

  • Paul F. Grayson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2001
      Hi to everyone in my personal address book and the list serves I belong to!

      Now to the latest news:

      DARPA has awarded $50 million dollars to research exoskeletons. Sounds like
      the HARDIMAN project from 1968 is back.

      New Scientist Magazine (London), is doing a story about exoskeletons and
      wants to know if we can find information about HARDIMAN for them and if at
      all possible, locate the artifact ... find the machine itself ... or what
      became of it when the project ended in the 1970's. If you know anything
      about the whereabouts of HARDIMAN, let me know and I will pass it on to my
      contact at the magazine. Anyone out there got any pictures of it?

      Last meeting we continued disassembly of the pile of printers to salvage the
      stepper motors, gears and sensors. There was a discussion of where the
      subject of robotics is headed with examples pulled up from the web. Some
      amazingly lifelike things are being done. The highlights from the half
      dozen robot magazines I subscribe to were presented. Great color pictures
      of robots which are being used by armies around the world were passed
      around.

      New tools added to the shop are a lathe-milling machine, table saw, drill
      press, bandsaw, 4.5" Dealt grinder, and lots more materials: wheels, foam
      rubber, ridged foam sheets, canvas, sheet rubber, rubber belts, wood, wire,
      hoses, etc. There are enough work benches for everyone,

      Seven additional books on robotics have been added to my reference
      collection. These and my other books on Robotics are available for use on
      club days. Take a look at these books in person and see what is in them.
      The model of ALIENS Power Loader has been assembled and will be on display
      at the 9/15/01 meeting.

      Next meeting of the Robot Club of Traverse City, MI will be:
      9/15/01
      1pm to 4pm
      At my workshop, 1892 Pinewood Ave.Traverse City, MI

      Paul F. Grayson - Chief Engineer
      AMERICAN INDUSTRIAL MAGIC
      1892 Pinewood Ave.
      Traverse City, MI 49684-9022