[sfrsa] Robots (what else?)

  • mchris4500@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 1999
      I'm quite new to the hobby/field of robotics. Are there long lines on
      the first Wednesday of every month? It's been my experience that free
      days for museums, e.g. SFMOMA (check out the pictures from Apollo
      missions there, take your time, step back) are mostly spent in lines.
      Is this the case?

      The Cybug Solarfly kit was the first robot I completed about a week
      ago--expensive for what it does, but I was interested in some of the
      principles involved and thought that the knowledge gained was valuable.
      Dues are not in the near future, I hope for this group. Expendable
      income is not something I have in abundance, but scrounging has become
      a forte as a result. Obsolete equipment from work has proven to be a
      bonanza for spare parts. Completely recycled/canablized or nearly so
      bot's could be an interesting and valuable catagory in the robot
      competitions.

      What's the best way to drive robot legs and how many?
    • Mark Medonis
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 1999
        Hello!
        Glad to have more folks get into robot building! The museum is usually
        crowded on Wednesday nights, but no lines. Might have to drive
        around the parking lot a bit tho.

        I'm sure you will hear from some of the other walker robot builders
        such as Joe Miller, but it seems that RC servos are the most popular
        motive power. I have seen walkers with one servo, two servos, and
        twelve servos so that is open to design. The simplest mechanical one
        was four legs, and two servos per leg. But it couldn't turn very well.
        The six legged walkers, like the Lynxmotion one in the Robot Store
        catalog, turn well but jeez that's a lot of servos.

        Mark Medonis

        > I'm quite new to the hobby/field of robotics. Are there long lines on
        > the first Wednesday of every month? It's been my experience that free
        > days for museums, e.g. SFMOMA (check out the pictures from Apollo
        > missions there, take your time, step back) are mostly spent in lines.
        > Is this the case?
        >
        > The Cybug Solarfly kit was the first robot I completed about a week
        > ago--expensive for what it does, but I was interested in some of the
        > principles involved and thought that the knowledge gained was valuable.
        > Dues are not in the near future, I hope for this group. Expendable
        > income is not something I have in abundance, but scrounging has become
        > a forte as a result. Obsolete equipment from work has proven to be a
        > bonanza for spare parts. Completely recycled/canablized or nearly so
        > bot's could be an interesting and valuable catagory in the robot
        > competitions.
        >
        > What's the best way to drive robot legs and how many?

        > Be sure to visit our web site at http://www.robots.org

        > A Proud Member of the One & Only Associate Network
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1709

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=sfrsa&m=1

      • Toni Thompson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 1999
          Hi! You're in luck! We proudly announce a surprising lack of long lines and
          standing room only at the Robot Society Meetings at the Exploratorium!
          Please join us in January. Come and meet your fellow professional
          improvisors/cannabalizers/scroungers!

          Hope to see you there!

          Toni Thompson
          Webbotchick, San Francisco Robotics Society