Belated Pictures/info-

  • tkremin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15 12:48 PM
      First thansk to all of you that helped a few years ago when I neded
      help motorizing a commutator.
      Second - I promised pictures! I started a photobook. It has pictures of:

      the commutator and motorization,
      Not pretty but worked flawlessly and produced no electronic noise, and
      minimal audible noise. The long curved arm is the torque sensing arm,
      the cables came up to teh yoke, and then were wire tied along teh arm
      and then connected to the commutator plugs.

      and also a picture of the drives
      Its an earlier version that only had 32 channels. Each of the little
      cannula coming out contains 16 wires - 12 micron wire twisted into
      tetrodes, so 4 tetrodes per guide cannula. The little screws and such
      on top were set up so that teh depth of the wires was adjustable after
      this was mounted.

      and finally a picture of my first good waveforms from a rat.
      Each row on teh right side is a tetrode, the slight variations in how
      each wire receives the signal allow for separation of idividual
      neurons. The left panel shows teh currently selected tetrode's 'view'
      of neurons firing.

      Next project (eventually) will be to create an eRAT robot that will
      interface with my memory and learning neural network model and
      hopefully replicate real learning and behavior that has been reported
      from real animals. Just have to figure out some interface issues first
      (oh - and try to get a tenure track position somewhere!)

      and one last - on the educational front - I have a PhD in psychology of
      all things, but the most useful things I learned were from my aircraft
      mechanic days and from A&P school. Troubleshooting complex electronic,
      electrical, hydraulic, pneumatics, mechanical, etc. systems
      (particularly complex avionic systems) provided a great frame work for
      examining how all things, including the brain, works. Went back to
      school after 7 years of mechanicing, took a course at a community
      college on psychobiology and got hooked. The mechanics of the mind. So
      be careful where you want you education to take you! (too much biology
      for most psych departments, too psychy for most biology programs, not
      enough 'engineering' background for engineering departments, and not
      enough programming for a computer department...) Sometimes too much
      education can really limit your employability (and your fun and
      income...)

      I would say play and learn - get yourself some of the Aircraft Mechanic
      textbooks as good starting places for mechanical and electrionic
      aspects, and then move on to more intense texts. You seem to be, or
      desire to be, autodidactic (self teaching). So I would avoid too much
      formal education. It should be about that, but has moved farther and
      farther away from instilling those values. (Try getting positions
      telling people you can learn anything - or getting a grant while
      telling the reviewers that yes, you can pick up and learn X and don't
      need to spend (waste) time sitting in someone elses lab learning thinsg
      to advance their grants and career...)