Re:Education

  • David LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14 3:21 PM
      DeWayne,
      Formal education is over rated. You're only 43! Start building!! Start learning!!! If I had the internet when I was young, who knows where I would be now!!! Everything you need to know is out there! Go find it!!!
      OR, if you insist on higher education, there's computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, "mechatronics," or if you are interested in robotics, all of the above!
      Use your brain!
      Think (and act) outside the box!!
      Unencumbered by "formal" education, you could be on the cutting edge of robotics!!!

      my two cents, anyway.

      Dave

    • jazz2k1us
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14 10:32 PM
        Thanks for the enthusiasm Dave. I hope to be able to learn a wide
        array of skills and gain like-minded friends. I've read some of
        Kurzweil's books and hope to be able to contribute to the community for
        decades to come (43 is the new 23?). I agree the box is a good place
        to put my laptop but far too small a place to think. I like what DARPA
        did to energize many inspired folks to collaborate in doing the
        previously 'impossible'. I would like the formal education in order to
        be grounded enough to teach and inspire younger associates in time.
        However, I do also want to start soon with hands-on projects.
        Mindstorm and BOE bots sound interesting.
        DeWayne
      • Dave Hylands
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15 12:00 PM
          Hi DeWayne,

          > I've been away for years, since the DARPA challenge in fact. My
          > interest in robotics was strong yet limited by a high school
          > education. The kids are grown and I'm ready to get the training
          > needed. I'm 43 yrs old and hope to begin in Fall '09. Any
          suggestions
          > for Degree programs or getting in mental shape in the meantime. Also,

          > are there any weekend meetings? Thanks for your ideas in advance,

          I break down "robotics" into 4 basic areas:

          1 - Mechanical
          2 - Electrical
          3 - Programming
          4 - Looks (artistic/style)

          Part of choosing an area will depend on your own personal interests.

          The thing that I see missing the most, is the programming aspect. So
          this is the place I would focus on (OK - I'm also a programmer by
          profession - so you can consider my opinion to be biased :).

          There seems to be lots of electronics boards/kits that are readily
          available or can easily be assembled. Having some basic electronics
          knowledge would also be quite useful, although most of the pertinent
          information can be easily learned from a few books, like David Cook's
          "Robot Building for Beginners" and "Intermediate Robot Building".
          <http://www.robotroom.com/>
          Unless you're planning on designing specialty electronics, the basics
          will get you a long ways in the hobbyist robotics market. Most stuff is
          digital, and you'll need to figure out how to use an A/D converter for
          interfacing to the analog stuff.

          Personally, I found that the mechanical stuff was pretty easy to pick
          up, although I've been building models and using tools since I was kid.
          I bought my own CNC mill and lathe, and while I have a blast making my
          own parts, it is very time consuming.

          And, probably the most valuable skill is learning how to ask the right
          questions...

          I notice lots of people being afraid to ask questions, because they feel
          that the questions are "stupid". In my books there is no such thing as a
          stupid question, just stupid answers. It's ok to not know everything.
          Don't be afraid to ask, but also learn how to use the tools to find the
          information (like google).

          Dave Hylands
          http://www.davehylands.com/