[Fwd: MythBusters needs volunteers]

  • David Calkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11 1:31 PM
      *MythBusters Needs Volunteers*

      *THE STORY – Archimedes Death Ray*

      *
      *Because it’s been so popular with our viewers, this will be our third
      attempt at a story called Archimedes Death Ray.
      The myth is that the Roman army defended themselves from invading Greek
      ships by lining the shores with 300 soldiers. But these soldiers did not
      use conventional warfare. By using their mirrored shields to focus the
      sun’s rays at the invading ships they could, the myth alleges, set the
      invading ships on fire and save the city.

      *WHAT WE NEED*

      * 300- 350 Volunteers to operate mirrors for the one day of
      experiment (engineering and science backgrounds preferred)

      *VOLUNTEERS*

      * We would require volunteers to be 18 years or older and to
      Pre-register with us prior to the experiment date by email.
      * All volunteers would be required to sign a Participant Release
      /Liability waiver.
      * Experiment will take place in September (date still to be determined).
      * Volunteers will need to be available from 9am to 7pm and would
      have to bring their own lunch and transport themselves to the
      location (similar to going to an outdoor concert). Possible
      locations include the Greek Theater, Oyster Point Marina or
      Alameda NAS.
      * We'll supply volunteers with a MythBusters T-shirt, a signed
      autograph card and possibly a group photo with Jamie and Adam.

      * *

      *HOW TO GET INVOLVED*

      Send and email to: myths_volunteers@...
      <mailto:myths_volunteers@...>

      Please provide Full Name, Age and Contact Information

      Please write [*MythBusters - Death Ray*] in the subject header.

      MythBusters will then follow up and contact them with more details very
      soon.

      Thanks!

      --

      -David E. Calkins
      SFSU Robotics Engineering and Robotics Outreach