Re: [rsa] Re: How to select a Tx/Rx for my robot?

  • Camp Peavy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23 1:45 PM
      ESCs (Electronic Speed Controls) as used with RC cars and planes allow you to control DC motors with your radio radio (back, forth and stop). You are basically pulsing these between 1 and 2 milliseconds for clockwise/counterclockwise and 1.5ms for stop. This is how you would control them with your microcontroller as well (pulse them). An ESC allows you to treat DC motors like servos. You would need two; one for each wheel. I'm using the Novak XRS on my robots http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGNG5&P=ML

      Careful! High-end RC car ESC's are generally limited to forward as reverse is not allowed in RC car racing. Get the "Sport" version which usually implies reverse... also in general you need to stop the ESC (1.5ms) before reversing direction. Most commercial versions expect the user to go forward, hit the brake (reverse throttle) and then go back to the neutral position and reverse throttle again to actually backup... this protects the MOSFETs. The microcontoller would simply need to have a subroutine that stopped the motor before reversing direction. An ESC could be used to actuate the solenoid as well.

      Good luck,
      Camp