RoboGames 2007 and Maker Faire.

  • David Calkins
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28, 2007
      RoboGames needs you back!

      RoboGames has now been recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the World's Largest Robot Competition - but we still have a long way to go. We need you back!

      Wired magazine called RoboGames one of "The Best Ten North American Geek Fests." ESPN put last year's event in Sportscenter's Top Ten

      This year will be the biggest RoboGames ever, with all 54,000 sq ft (5000 sq m) being filled with 80 different competitions.

      There still slots open for sumo robots, robo-one androids, legos, Robomagellan bots, fire-fighters, hexapods, line-followers, BEAM bots and combat robots (1-340 lbs.)  This year will be the second year of the Servo magazine-sponsored Tetsujin (Japanese for "Iron Man" .) Tetsujin involves humans wearing metallic exo-skeletons which radically increases human strength and potential. Think of the forklift suit from Alien, only live and in person!

      RoboGames is also host for the 2007 FIRA (Federation of International Robot-soccer Association) 12th annual Robot World Cup! We've already got 63 entries from18 countries!

      We really want you back! You've still got three months before the event (June 15-17th, at Ft. Mason center) but only two months to register. This year we've already got teams registered from Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Germany, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, Singapore, Slovenia, Taiwan, UK and the USA.
      Register today: http://buildersdb.com/eventdetail.asp?eventid=196

      This year there will be several special events, but most importantly - On Friday night, Wired Magazine will be sponsoring a party for all the competitors. Free food, beer, wine, and cocktails - and you won't even have to go anywhere - it will be at the venue! This isn't open to the public, and we're shutting down all the competitions early Friday - so you'll have lots of free time to meet people, including many VIP's.

      CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, ESPN, The New York Times, Wired, USA Today, and many more news agencies have covered RoboGames. Check out how we've been described around the world!

      ComBots Cup and Maker Faire Robot Show

      For those who can't wait for RoboGames, on May 19-20th, we'll be hosting a preview! Fire-fighting robots, sumos, robo-ones, and many other bots will fill a full building of fun at Maker Faire. This is a great show, and by registering you get access to the whole fairgrounds and get to meet all sorts of amazing people. There are 27 different events for you to display your robot in (including best of show, so if you've got a bot - bring it!)

      But for those entering the 2nd annual ComBots Cup at Maker Faire, there's $10,000 on the line. 1, 3, 120, 220, and 340 pound robots should all register for the event. The ComBots Cup is our 220 pound challenge, to get more people into building robots. Last year, Matt and Wendy Maxham of Team PlumbCrazy went undefeated through all five rounds to take the $10,000 and 3 foot tall trophy. Who will it be this year? You can't win if you don't compete - so sign up and see the show, whether it's to show off your art bots or compete for the $10,000 championship. This year's purse will be split between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

      Register For Maker Faire Now: http://buildersdb.com/eventdetail.asp?eventID=205

      Maker Faire & ComBots Cup
      Date:Sati-Sun, May 19-20, 2007
      Time: Noon - 10pm
      Where: San Mateo Fairgrounds
      Map & directions
                 RoboGames 2007
      Date:Fri-Sun, Jun 15-17, 2007
      Time: Noon - 10pm
      Where: Ft. Mason, Festival Pavilion
      Map & directions

      RoboGames in the News

      Games Across America

      CBS Evening Magazine

      Monster Nation

      NBC News

      O'Reilly - "Robotics Community Descends on San Francisco"

      Servo - "The West Coast's Largest Robotic Convention"

      EE Times - "RoboGames"

      Wired - "Robots Are Ready to Rumble "

      Sponsorship Opportunities for the Upcoming Show
      Thousands of people were at RoboGames last spring, and press coverage has gone to millions all over the world. By becoming an event sponsor, you can help us put on a better competition next time and help yourself with tremendous publicity! Become an event sponsor!