Hobby Engineering Job

  • Albert B. Margolis
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2006
      Hobby Engineering is Expanding!

      We are on track to grow a lot this year and I need to hire my second
      full time employee as soon as possible. What I am looking for:

      - Someone with a demonstrable track record building things with the
      kinds of supplies we sell. It can be robots, kinetic art, electronic
      modules or almost anything else. I need to see that you can both
      come up with a creative idea and turn that idea into a tangible
      result.

      - Someone with a strong work ethic. Building things is hard work. I
      need you to help build Hobby Engineering as a company. I need you to
      help me finish some unique products and services that I have in the
      pipeline. I need you to help our customers build things too.

      - Someone who wants to learn a lot about a lot of things in a short
      period of time. Hobby Engineering is already at least a little bit
      different than those other places selling robotics / electronics. By
      the end of 2006 I plan to be a lot different.

      - Someone who can explain our products and technology to students,
      artists and hobbyists. This will include telephone tech support, in
      store retail consulting and teaching classes. You don't have to be a
      professional engineering but you do need to start with a reasonable
      how-to level of knowledge about the products we sell and have the
      ability and interest to learn more.

      What you will get:

      - A fair but not outstanding salary.

      - More or less no benefits package. I expect this to change in 2007.

      - A chance to play with great toys as part of your day job.

      - A solution to that dilemma of deciding what to do with all your free
      time. This year will be very intense.

      What you will do:

      Your main mission will be to bring our technology to customers in a
      very tangible way. That will include explaining products via the web,
      one-on-one and in front of a small classroom.

      To make that possible you will help develop new products and services
      that are not being offered anywhere else.

      You will also have to help the business in any way that is needed.
      That may include packing orders and sweeping the store. At first
      there will be a significant amount of this routine work as I bring in
      new staff and systems. Within a few months it should be a small part
      of your job. Don't bother applying if you think you are "above"
      cleaning the toilets (but I'll probably keep doing that job myself for
      now).

      If this sounds interesting please reply off-line to al@... and
      let me know the
      best way for us to begin a conversation. I'm ready to have the right
      person start working today.

      -- Al Margolis
      founder, www.HobbyEngineering.com

      PS: I am also looking for a part time employee or two to help with
      shipping and packaging. This is a great job for a college student. I
      mainly need help in the afternoon and mainly early in the week.
      Availability Monday from about 2pm to 5pm is essential. Beyond that I
      can be fairly flexible to work around class schedules and other
      commitments. I need at least 20 to 30 hours total help per week.
      This may be either one nearly full time position or two part time
      positions depending on the applications I get.