RE: [rsa] Re: Positive/Negative feedback for the Gumstix platform?

  • Dave Hylands
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
      Hi rtstofer,

      I recognize your email from the Mark III list.

      Which forums have you been asking on? I'm on the sourceforge mailing list and
      I don't recall seeing any posts from you. The sourceforge forum is fairly
      lively (300-400 posts per month)

      > The support forum has a lot of questions, not many answers. Just a
      > sample program to wiggle a few bits and maybe PWM a couple of
      > outputs would be handy - no such luck.

      That must be the web forum. Personally, I don't like web forums, so I
      generally avoid them.

      There is a program that comes with the gumstix called gpio. This will allow
      you to configure and manipulate any of the GPIO lines from the command line
      on the gumstix. There is also a program called pxaregs which allows any of
      the PXA (i.e. Intel Xscale) registers to be manipulated fro the command line.

      Someone posted a nice PWM example on the sourceforge list a few weeks ago.
      http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7422881&forum_id=38940

      > Robostix was just released Friday, June 24, 2005 so I wouldn't count
      > on many people having experience with it. However, the ATmega128 is
      > a good choice. I have been using those for a couple of months with
      > WinAVR (a C library) and GNU gcc and code generation works well.

      I helped out quite a bit with the design of the RoboStix.

      > I'm assuming that there will eventually be some gumstix code to
      > drive the Robostix. So, I'll wait until I see the examples before
      > going any farther down this path.

      Yep - I'm slowly working on it. Currently, I'm working on getting the ability
      to program the RoboStix from the gumstix without requiring an external ISP.
      That was one of the features that was designed in.

      P.S. I don't have any affiliation with gumstix, other than being a big fan. I
      got one of the early RoboStix prototypes due to my involvement in the design,
      and I've ordered a few more!

      Much of the support for the gumstix is being done in the typical opensource
      format, which is one of the big factors that allows the cost to be so low. So
      yeah, the documentation might be a bit lacking at times, but it is being
      stored on a Wiki, so anybody can come along and make improvements. I've
      contributed to getting usbnet working under Windows XP.

      --
      Dave Hylands
      Vancouver, BC, Canada
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
        Dave,

        I saw your work over at the www.gumstix.org so I knew you were
        involved. I have also seen some of your other projects so I wasn't
        surprised.

        I will visit the sourceforge list and see what I can find. The
        command line utilities are of little interest but, of course, the
        source could be helpful.

        As to Robostix, I almost ordered one Saturday, as soon as I saw it.
        Then I decided to wait for a real, live project with motors/servos
        and sensors interacting with a physical environment and utilizing
        the gumstix in some capacity. I'm not in a hurry, there are a lot
        of other things to work on.

        I would like to work on a MicroMouse maze solving bot. I already
        have the flood-fill algorithm running on the gumstix as well as on
        an ATmega128 (7 mS solution). With the speed of the gumstix, each
        iteration could take just a few hundred microseconds; about the time
        it takes the bot to move 0.06" at 3m/s.

        I don't really have very much experience with Linux. It isn't my
        favorite OS even though I have two machines with Fedora Core 3.
        Perhaps by the time I get the maze bot working I will develop an
        appreciation for it. Or not...

        Meanwhile, off to sourceforge...

        Thanks for the tip!
        Richard

      • Dave Hylands
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
          Hi Richard,

          I think that the RoboStix will make an excellent robot controller even
          without the gumstix. One of the changes that was made to the early prototypes
          was to ensure that the RoboStix would work in standalone mode.

          > > There is a program that comes with the gumstix called gpio. This
          > > will allow you to configure and manipulate any of the GPIO lines
          > > from the command line on the gumstix. There is also a program
          > > called pxaregs which allows any of the PXA (i.e. Intel Xscale)
          > > registers to be manipulated fro the command line.

          Actually, I realized that I misspoke. I was confusing some stuff I'm doing at
          work with some of the stuff on the gumstix (I'm working on some linux stuff
          at work too).

          The gpio on the gumstix is exposed to user space (where most people write
          code) through a facility called the proc file system. I think we need a
          tutorial on this, so I'll see about writing one up.

          --
          Dave Hylands
          Vancouver, BC, Canada