PDXbot05 Now there's something to do in May, too!

  • Larry Geib
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2005
      The Portland Area Robotics Society announces that this year's annual
      contest-PDXbot'05 - will be held Sunday, May 1st this year. That's a
      bit earlier
      than usual, so start getting your robots ready now! The Folks at PSU
      are
      allowing us to use the Smith Center Ballroom again, and parking will
      again be free.

      This year, we are offering several competitions.

      SRS-RoboMagellan- We have decided to offer this great new outdoor
      navigation
      contest as envisioned by the Seattle Robotics Society. Same rules as
      in
      Seattle, with a twist of being in a somewhat more restraining
      environment on the
      South Park blocks, right in back of the Smith Center. Get those
      object
      sensors working! The exact time and date for this event hasn't been
      set due to
      scheduling concerns (it could be Saturday or Sunday), so keep
      checking at the
      PDXbot web site www.pdxbot.org for the latest updates.

      Sumo- Contests will be held in five classes this year: Nano, Micro,
      Beginner's Mini, advanced Mini, and 3kg classes. No hold down
      devices (vacuum or
      magnets) will be allowed in any class.

      Line following- We are offering Beginning and advanced versions of
      this
      contest. If we have enough contestants, we'll have head-to-head
      racing!

      Walker race- Last year's popular out and back race returns with some
      rules
      clarifications.

      Talent show- If you have a neat robot, bring it and show it off. If
      the
      judges like your robot, you could walk off with a prize!

      A note on rules- In an effort to make your robots able to compete in
      several
      contests, we have been working with our friends in the Seattle
      Robotics
      Society to unify the rules for most contests. You'll find that this
      year's
      Robothon will use the same rules for most of these contests, so you
      won't have to
      modify your robots to meet differing rules. Now you have no excuse
      to not
      build that great new robot! We didn't get around to unifying the
      Sumo rules, but
      they aren't that much different anyway. The same robots seem to do
      well at
      both contests. All the rules are posted on the PDXbot site.

      PDXbot.05 will include new and improved tech displays, vendor
      booths,
      demonstrations, Items for purchase, food, a Kid's robotics zone,
      robot-related
      raffles, and fun for the whole family. Admission is free! Plan your
      visit Now!

      Visit the PDXbot web site www.pdxbot.org for information on rules,
      maps,
      travel information, venue directions, and information on our
      sponsors and
      vendors.

      And, if you haven't been to a PDXbot event, you can see what one is
      like by
      going to the PARTS web site ( www.portlandrobotics.org ) and
      clicking on the
      merchandise link to get a copy of the PDXbot04 and '03 DVDs.