Call for Works: ArtBots: The Robot Talent Show

  • douglas irving repetto
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2004
      (please forward!)

      ArtBots: The Robot Talent Show

      Call for Works

      The third annual ArtBots: The Robot Talent Show, an international art
      exhibition for robotic art and art-making robots, will take place in
      New York City in early fall 2004. Creators of talented robots are
      invited to submit their work for possible inclusion in the show.
      Proposals and works-in-progress are welcome, provided a detailed
      production timeline and samples of previous work are included in the
      application. The deadline for entries is May 1st, 2004.

      Please see http://artbots.org for more information and entry instructions.

      About ArtBots

      ArtBots is an international art exhibition for robotic art and
      art-making robots. Each year we publish an open call for submissions,
      inviting artists from around the world to send us information about
      their work. No firm rules exist on the types of work that can
      participate; if you think it's a robot and you think it's art, we
      encourage you to submit. The final list of participants is a mix of
      works selected from the open call submissions and additional artists
      invited by the ArtBots curators.

      The ArtBots curators for 2004 are: Douglas Repetto (Columbia
      University Computer Music Center), Mark Tribe (Columbia University
      Digital Media Center), and Mary Flanagan (Hunter College Film/Media
      Department). ArtBots is sponsored by the Columbia University Computer
      Music Center and Digital Media Center.

      The first ArtBots took place in May 2002 at Pratt Institute in
      Brooklyn and included the work of ten artists/groups. The show was
      curated by Douglas Repetto and Philip Galanter (New York University).
      Nearly six hundred people visited the show during its one-day run,
      and the show received very positive coverage in many print and online
      publications in the USA and internationally, including The New York
      Times, TimeOutNY, BoingBoing.net, and NASA's Cool Robot of the Week

      The second ArtBots show was held at Eyebeam Gallery in Manhattan in
      July 2003 as part of Eyebeam's summer robotics festival, ROBOT.
      Twenty two works by artists and groups from six countries
      participated in the show, which again received extensive press
      coverage, including national TV (CNN, NBC, NY1), radio (NPR, Future
      Tense, WBAI, Studio 360), print (Newsweek, Wired Magazine, New York
      Times, New York Press, Nature), and online publications. About two
      thousand people visited the two-day show, which was curated by
      Douglas Repetto, Philip Galanter, and Jenny Lee (Pratt Institute).

      ArtBots FAQs:

      Q: Is ArtBots a robot competition like BattleBots, RobotWars, etc?
      A: No. ArtBots is an art exhibition featuring robotic art and
      art-making robots. While ArtBots is not a competition, we do give out
      two awards at the end: the "Audience Choice Award" and the "Artists'
      Choice Award."

      Q: Then why do you call it a talent show?
      Q: We call it "ArtBots: The Robot Talent Show" because the robots
      demonstrate their talents during the show. However, it's not
      structured like a traditional talent show. It's really an art
      exhibition with a funny name.

      Q: How many works will be in the show?
      A: Fifteen to twenty.

      Q: I'm not sure if my work qualifies for your show. What exactly are
      you looking for?
      A: As the name of the show implies, we're looking for work that is
      some part art and some part robot. The meanings of "art" and "robot"
      are left open. Possible formats/media include objects, installations,
      sculpture, live performance, etc. If you're still not sure, the
      documentation of previous participants on http://artbots.org should
      give you some idea of the kind of work we're looking for.

      A: Are the artists that participate in the show compensated in any manner?
      Q: Each participating artist/group will receive an artist's fee of
      $500. This fee may be used in any way the artist/group desires. All
      other costs, including transportation, shipping, lodging, etc. are
      the responsibility of the artist/group.

      Q: When/Where will the event take place?
      A: In early fall 2004, in New York City, most likely in upper
      Manhattan. The exact date and location have not yet been determined.

      Q: Is ArtBots open to people outside of New York City?
      A: Yes, ArtBots is an international art show, and has featured the
      work of artists from around the world. Unfortunately we're not in a
      position to offer anything in the way of support or accommodations
      for out-of-town participants, beyond the artist's fee described
      above. (Although we can probably help you find a place to stay if

      Q: What's the point of ArtBots?
      A: We started ArtBots because we wanted to have fun and to celebrate
      some of the creative, non-violent, and not-so-competitive aspects of
      robotics. People all over the world are making work that combines art
      and robotics and they're asking interesting, important questions
      about art, technology, creativity, responsibility, authorship,
      consciousness, and so on. ArtBots is our way of focusing attention on
      that work.

      ........ArtBots: The Robot Talent Show.......