[rsa] SRF08 beam angle

  • Alejandro Alonso Puig
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      I've got a question. Does anyone of you know by experience what is the angle
      of detection of the sonar ranger SRF08 from Devantech?.

      I have found some information on the Internet, but I don't believe what I'm
      reading. I found that the angle detection is of about 40 degrees, but in my
      tests I find it is about 100 degrees. SRF04 seems to really have 40 degrees
      of beam angle, but not SRF08.

      The most interesting information I found about the beam pattern is the graph
      taken from the manufacturer:
      http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/sonar_faq.htm but Devantech really do
      not give a clear figure for the beam width. I just see that depending on the
      decibels the beam is wider on narrower. My though is that the transducer is
      used at about -18dB and therefore the cone width is about 100 degrees.

      But I'm not sure I'm doing correctly or my unit is wrong in some way.

      Could someone please confirm from experience the beam width?

      Thanks a lot in advance

      Alejandro Alonso Puig
      http://mundobot.com
      alejandro.alonso@...