RE: [rsa] what to look for in a drill press

  • Al Margolis(TX)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2003
      Post tool may have wood lathes. There is/was one around South Van Ness and
      Division. Sears too, but I think the closest is down here in San Bruno.
      Maybe Orchard Hardware since they carry a lot of the Sears Craftsman tools
      now.

      I discovered this place on the web a few months ago but haven't dragged
      myself across the bay to check it out:
      http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/assets/html/homepage.asp?URLCheck=1
      Looks like a great place to burn out a credit card.

      A lot of wood turning activity is focused on making pens and bowls. If you
      Google for "wood turning pen" and similar combinations you will find lots of
      information. Some of that may help with your wheels.

      If I'm understanding your question about the grooves, the formal method is a
      milling machine with a rotary table. A lower cost option might be a Dremel
      tool in one of their drill press mounts. A turntable would be nice, but you
      could probably make a simple jig. Once you have cut the first groove cut
      you can start to add pins to your jig to maintain uniform spacing.

      Cutting metal is very cool, but making wood chips is pretty nice too and
      smells better. Its definitely lower cost and safer. Home Depot and Lowes
      sell some hardwood in small pieces. Add a little stain and some brass
      hardware and you could compete for a beauty prize too.

      -- Al Margolis, founder
      www.hobbyengineering.com
      The WEB's newest source for robotics supplies and information