Others

  • Jeanette Eya-Zeissig
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 10:58 AM

      >There are a handful of them I have seen in person. They were roaming the
      >halls, parking lot, and test range while I was there.

      >http://www.spawar.navy.mil/robots

      >Cybermotion has been very good at placing robot security guards in places
      >they would rather not say.

      >Helpmate has been so successful with their hospital delivery robot: HELPMATE
      >that they were bought out by a hospital supply company.

      >Paul F. Grayson - Chief Engineer
      >AMERICAN INDUSTRIAL MAGIC
      >1892 Pinewood Ave.
      >Traverse City, MI 49684-9022
      >(231) 946-0187, FAX (231) 946-1122
      >pgrayson@...

      Well, (even though we have payed for them) I suppose it would be
      pointless to ask the Navy if ROBART III, for example, can come out to play
      at the Annual Robot Games. The following examples of beautifully
      understated "bureaurocratese" from the spawar website suggest that ROBART
      III could be a real crowd pleaser.

      Netscape: ROBART I, II, III
      http://www.spawar.navy.mil/robots/land/robart/robart.html#Robart3
      Monday, July 31, 2000

      "The non-lethal-response weapon chosen for incorporation into the system
      consists of a pneumatically powered dart gun capable of firing a variety of
      3/16-inch diameter projectiles. The simulated tranquilizer darts were
      developed to demonstrate a potential response application involving remote
      firing of temporarily incapacitating rounds by law enforcement personnel.
      The demonstration darts consist of a sharpened 20-gauge spring-steel wires
      approximately 3 inches long and terminated with 3/16-inch plastic balls. A
      rotating-barrel arrangement was incorporated to allow for multiple firings
      (six) with minimal mechanical complexity. (The spinning-barrel mechanism
      also imparts a rather sobering psychological message during system
      initialization.)"

      I suspect that getting stiched up the middle by all six darts might
      provide an overdose of tranqs that would prove to be more than "temporarily
      incapacitating." That final parenthetical, however, shows that these guys
      are not just meatball engineers, but have a real sense of the dramatic
      possibilities of ROBART III. The image of that spinning-barrel mechanism
      has a quality unmatched even by the sound of a round being jacked into the
      chanber of a pump action 12 guage.

      "Recently a research thrust has been started involving ROBART III in a
      distributed master/slave network, partly to address the communication
      degradation problem as ROBART III explores a building. A group of slave
      robots would follow ROBART III into a building and be deployed at strategic
      locations to serve as communication relays, rearguard lookouts, expendable
      point men, or part of a distributed sensor network, preventing an intruder
      from playing "hide-and-seek" with ROBART III. A fleet of ten Lynxmotion
      Hexapod II walking robots (six-legged, twelve-servo hexapods featuring two
      degrees-of-freedom per leg) are currently used to illustrate the
      feasibility of the master/slave network. The small slave robots perform
      collision-avoidance, wall-following, and doorway-detection routines using
      algorithms similar to those running on ROBART III. For all other tasks, the
      slaves react to information that has been gathered and preprocessed by
      ROBART III."

      I always wondered who was buying up all the Lynxmotion kits! But
      seriously, to be competitive these days the average 'bot just can't make it
      as a solo act.

      Thanks for the response,

      John Zeissig

      <http://home.att.net/~jZeissig>