Re: [rsa] Digest Number 537

  • Jack Buffington
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2003
      I'll get two replys with one stone here...

      Terry,

      You could check out the L298N H-bridge chip. It can handle up to 55 Volts
      and 3 Amps. That is what I am using on my corner-finding robot. I have
      gotten the robot far enough that the robot can move on its own but needs
      some programming to be able to follow a wall. If only I had more free
      time... In any case, you could check out the very disorganized page that I
      have on my website about h-bridges.
      http://www.buffingtonfx.com/j1432/proj/dee_dum/dee_dum2.html

      I see that I am quoting a different spec for the L298 on that page. Maybe
      the 298 and 298N are different or the specs have changed.

      If you are really adventurous you could try making your own! I have before
      and have run into a lot of trouble. These days things are a bit different.
      Circuits are different too. I have wanted to try building an H-bridge out
      of some IRLZ44 Hexfets and some good Schottky diodes for a while now but it
      is that time thing again...

      Frederick,

      Two wheels that are offset should work but might make your navigation
      trickier. It will take a little extra torque to turn the robot because you
      will be forcing the wheels to slide sideways just a bit when you are
      turning. Other than that it should work. One thing you might do is think
      about getting some bevel gears. That way you can have your motors side by
      side and then have your wheels aligned. I bought some bevel gears from
      Stock Drive Products a few months ago. I think that they were only $14 for
      a pair of them.

      -Jack

    • Terry Slocum
      Message 2 of 2 , May 24, 2003
        Thanks Jack,

        I just put some L298's on order. I couldn't find them locally (Northbay). I just hope they get here in time for me to be ready for the next meeting. I may just try making a "Roll Your Own" motor controller in the mean time. I'll let you know how it goes.

        Terry