IRST Cancelled :(

  • Pete Miles
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2003
      I have just received word from Japan that the 2003 International Robot Sumo
      Tournament (IRST) has been cancelled.

      The Japanese officials and sponsors are concerned about the safety of their
      competitors/teams traveling to the U.S. due to the possible war in Iraq.
      Because they feel that they can not guarantee the safety of their people
      during this time, they decided that they it would be safer to cancel the
      event this year. They did tell me that they do plan to come to the U.S. in
      March of 2004.

      The cancellation includes the event in Seattle on March 18th, San Francisco
      on March 20th, and Los Angles on March 22nd.

      I know a lot of you were looking forward to this event, but there are a
      couple events coming that you can compete in.

      April 12 and 13th at the Pacific Science Center (Seattle) there is a general
      robotics event hosted by the Pacific Science Center. That weekend there
      will be ant-weight class robotics and a very good chance of a robot sumo
      event. I am in discussions right now with the PacSci people about having a
      robot sumo event that weekend. I will keep you posted when this is a for
      sure deal. This will be an informal event a chance for your robot to obtain
      more experience in combat.

      May 9 & 10th, the Western Canadian Robotic Society will be hosting the 13th
      annual Western Canadian Robot Games. Robot Sumo is a big part of this
      event. see www.robotgames.com

      May 25, the Portland Area Robotics Society will be having their first 3 kg
      robot sumo event. This will be an exciting time to compete. Daryl has a
      mini sumo that beats many 3 kg sumo robots out there, so I would bet that it
      will be at this event. see www.portlandrobotics.org

      October 26th, the Seattle Robotics Society will be having their next
      Robothon which will have several robot sumo events.

      Though the IRST has been canceled, there are still many events going on
      locally.

      I hope this announcement doesn't cause as much of a heartburn to you as it
      did to me. I ended up buying a lathe so I can make some hubs for by sumo
      for this event.

      Pete Miles