Teach Robotics This Summer

  • Al Margolis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2003
      The San Mateo Community College District has a program called "College For
      Kids" at each of its campuses (Skyline College, College of San Mateo and
      Canada College) during the summer. Each session runs 4 days a week for 3
      weeks. Each class is one hour per day in the afternoon. Each student
      attends three classes.

      I have proposed teaching an electronics/robotics class or two. They would
      like to have more classes than I can teach myself. If you are interested in
      participating, it would be possible for you to either develop your own
      course or to work together with me to develop a curriculum and then we would
      lead classes at different campuses.

      Let me know if you are interested in participating. I will bring
      information about the program to the RSA meeting this Saturday. They will
      be freezing the schedule within a week or two, so you should act now if you
      are interested.

      -- Al Margolis, founder
      www.hobbyengineering.com
      The WEB's newest source for robotics supplies and information
    • John Reed
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 29, 2003
        Hi Al,

        I would be interested in this. Before commiting
        though, I would like to see more details... like the
        schedule for example, it would have to be weekends or
        evenings only for me. Also, how old are the kids,
        etc.

        Anyways, put me on the 'interested' list.

        Thanks!

        John

        --- Al Margolis <al@...> wrote:
        > The San Mateo Community College District has a
        > program called "College For
        > Kids" at each of its campuses (Skyline College,
        > College of San Mateo and
        > Canada College) during the summer. Each session
        > runs 4 days a week for 3
        > weeks. Each class is one hour per day in the
        > afternoon. Each student
        > attends three classes.
        >
        > I have proposed teaching an electronics/robotics
        > class or two. They would
        > like to have more classes than I can teach myself.
        > If you are interested in
        > participating, it would be possible for you to
        > either develop your own
        > course or to work together with me to develop a
        > curriculum and then we would
        > lead classes at different campuses.
        >
        > Let me know if you are interested in participating.
        > I will bring
        > information about the program to the RSA meeting
        > this Saturday. They will
        > be freezing the schedule within a week or two, so
        > you should act now if you
        > are interested.
        >
        > -- Al Margolis, founder
        > www.hobbyengineering.com
        > The WEB's newest source for robotics supplies and
        > information

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Al Margolis(TX)
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 29, 2003
          This particular opportunity is Monday through Tuesday for three consecutive
          weeks. Classes start at 1:15, 2:15 and 3:15. "College For Kids" is for
          students starting 5th through 9th grade in the fall.

          Even if this particular program doesn't work for you, I would like to hear
          from anyone interested in helping to provide Robotics Education. I am just
          starting to organize an on-going program to provide guest speakers at
          schools and other places kids congregate to encourage them to get involved
          in electronics/robotics as a hobby. You don't have to be an "expert" to
          help, just have some enthusiasm and a willingness to give up some of your
          time. I will be providing speaking notes and demonstration items to help
          you make your presentation.

          I will be contacting schools and creating a scheduling system, but there is
          no reason why you can't contact your own local school and schedule yourself.
          I have just barely started this effort, but I'm already seeing some positive
          concept and hope to really have something organized for the Fall and the
          start of Science Fair season in the schools. If you are interested, just
          drop me a note including the geographic area where you could help.

          --- Al Margolis <al@...> wrote:
          > The San Mateo Community College District has a
          > program called "College For
          > Kids" at each of its campuses (Skyline College,
          > College of San Mateo and
          > Canada College) during the summer. Each session
          > runs 4 days a week for 3
          > weeks. Each class is one hour per day in the
          > afternoon. Each student
          > attends three classes.
          >
          > I have proposed teaching an electronics/robotics
          > class or two. They would
          > like to have more classes than I can teach myself.
          > If you are interested in
          > participating, it would be possible for you to
          > either develop your own
          > course or to work together with me to develop a
          > curriculum and then we would
          > lead classes at different campuses.
          >
          > Let me know if you are interested in participating.
          > I will bring
          > information about the program to the RSA meeting
          > this Saturday. They will
          > be freezing the schedule within a week or two, so
          > you should act now if you
          > are interested.
          >
          > -- Al Margolis, founder
          > www.hobbyengineering.com
          > The WEB's newest source for robotics supplies and
          > information

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com

          SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's
          Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
          http://www.robotics-society.org

        • Gilbert Wong

            --- Al Margolis <al@...> wrote:
            > The San Mateo Community College District has a
            > program called "College For
            > Kids" at each of its campuses (Skyline College,
            > College of San Mateo and
            > Canada College) during the summer.  Each session
            > runs 4 days a week for 3
            > weeks.  Each class is one hour per day in the
            > afternoon.  Each student
            > attends three classes.
            >
            > I have proposed teaching an electronics/robotics
            > class or two.  They would
            > like to have more classes than I can teach myself.
            > If you are interested in
            > participating, it would be possible for you to
            > either develop your own
            > course or to work together with me to develop a
            > curriculum and then we would
            > lead classes at different campuses.
            >
            > Let me know if you are interested in participating.
            > I will bring
            > information about the program to the RSA meeting
            > this Saturday.  They will
            > be freezing the schedule within a week or two, so
            > you should act now if you
            > are interested.
            >
            > -- Al Margolis, founder
            > www.hobbyengineering.com
            > The WEB's newest source for robotics supplies and
            > information

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com

            SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's
            Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
            http://www.robotics-society.org

            SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
            http://www.robotics-society.org

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Al Margolis(TX)
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
              Thanks for responding.  I have submitted a proposal for two classes and hope to hear about them in the next week or two.

              One of my goals is to create a referral service to match teachers to local volunteers.  I take it you live in the San Jose area.  Are you actively building and/or competing in robotics?  Have you thought about exactly what kind of teaching / mentoring you would like to do?  I would like to make this referral system broader than just robotics, so the machine tool experience is also of interest.  Do you have your own machine tools or is that something you have done at school and.or work?

              Please respond so I have a better idea of your interests.  I hope to have something a bit organized within a month and will definitely keep you in the loop as this comes together.

              Thanx again.

              Sincerely,

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
                Sorry for wasting your bandwidth.  I didn't realize that last message was going out to the list.

                As long as I've got your attention, I am interested in hearing from anyone interested in helping students learn about robotics, electronics and mechanics.  And from teachers who need assistance bringing these subjects into your schools.

                In the mean time, I will try to teach myself to pay attention to what REPLY does for discussions that start on the list!

                --- Al Margolis <al@...> wrote:
                > The San Mateo Community College District has a
                > program called "College For
                > Kids" at each of its campuses (Skyline College,
                > College of San Mateo and
                > Canada College) during the summer.  Each session
                > runs 4 days a week for 3
                > weeks.  Each class is one hour per day in the
                > afternoon.  Each student
                > attends three classes.
                >
                > I have proposed teaching an electronics/robotics
                > class or two.  They would
                > like to have more classes than I can teach myself.
                > If you are interested in
                > participating, it would be possible for you to
                > either develop your own
                > course or to work together with me to develop a
                > curriculum and then we would
                > lead classes at different campuses.
                >
                > Let me know if you are interested in participating.
                > I will bring
                > information about the program to the RSA meeting
                > this Saturday.  They will
                > be freezing the schedule within a week or two, so
                > you should act now if you
                > are interested.
                >
                > -- Al Margolis, founder
                > www.hobbyengineering.com
                > The WEB's newest source for robotics supplies and
                > information

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's
                Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                http://www.robotics-society.org

                SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                http://www.robotics-society.org

                Do you Yahoo!?
                SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                http://www.robotics-society.org

                SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                http://www.robotics-society.org

              • Wendy Carlson
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
                  I am interested in more work on robotics, but I am in the Sacramento area.  Is there any chance for training this way?
                  Wendy Carlson

                  --- Al Margolis <al@...> wrote:
                  > The San Mateo Community College District has a
                  > program called "College For
                  > Kids" at each of its campuses (Skyline College,
                  > College of San Mateo and
                  > Canada College) during the summer.  Each session
                  > runs 4 days a week for 3
                  > weeks.  Each class is one hour per day in the
                  > afternoon.  Each student
                  > attends three classes.
                  >
                  > I have proposed teaching an electronics/robotics
                  > class or two.  They would
                  > like to have more classes than I can teach myself.
                  > If you are interested in
                  > participating, it would be possible for you to
                  > either develop your own
                  > course or to work together with me to develop a
                  > curriculum and then we would
                  > lead classes at different campuses.
                  >
                  > Let me know if you are interested in participating.
                  > I will bring
                  > information about the program to the RSA meeting
                  > this Saturday.  They will
                  > be freezing the schedule within a week or two, so
                  > you should act now if you
                  > are interested.
                  >
                  > -- Al Margolis, founder
                  > www.hobbyengineering.com
                  > The WEB's newest source for robotics supplies and
                  > information

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                  SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's
                  Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                  http://www.robotics-society.org

                  SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                  http://www.robotics-society.org

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                  http://www.robotics-society.org

                  SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                  http://www.robotics-society.org

                  SF robot meetings are at Noon on the first Saturday of the month at SFSU's Science bldg - 1600 Holloway, room SCI 256.
                  http://www.robotics-society.org

                • James Ogden
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
                    I'm planning, in April, to hold 4 one-hour classes at
                    Oster Elementary school on Wednesday afternoons for 4
                    consecutive weeks.

                    I'm looking for anyone who would be interested in
                    co-teaching this class for 4th, 5th, and 6th graders,
                    who would be interested in helping me with the
                    curriculum, or who might have some lego mindstorms
                    that you'd consider loaning for this event.

                    Many of you may have seen the discussion about Al
                    Margolis' "College for Kids", and it's possible that
                    these two independent projects may have some overlap.

                    So, if you'd like to get involved with something in
                    the South Bay, let me know. Maybe this can expand to
                    become a South Bay division of the College for Kids
                    program.

                    James Ogden
                    Xilinx

                    =====
                    Smoothie_maker: (n) One who creates delicious home-made blended frozen-fruit concoctions.

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • Al Margolis(TX)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
                      I'm going to be needing several LEGO Mindstorms sets as part of my teaching
                      activities.

                      1. Are there any lower cost sources for these sets. I'm probably looking
                      for 5 sets later this spring.

                      2. Are there any good storage systems for the sets. I'd like something
                      with specific slots for the expensive (like RCX) and hard-to-replace parts
                      (like wheels) so that it is really easy to tell if everything important has
                      been put back.

                      3. Kind of related to #2: Am I being paranoid? Have those of you involved
                      in LEGO activities (FLL, etc.) had much of a problem with parts
                      "disappearing"?