1722RE: [rsa] Re: Help Needed! Chips are in, but 1 questions still

  • Dave Hylands
    May 3 10:43 AM
      Hi Terry,

      > Sorry for what may seem a simple (dumb) question,
      > but from what I know capacitors are basically a 1
      > way flow control valve in DC circuits, and a
      > variable frequency cut off depending on the
      > capacitors rating.

      I think you may be confusing diodes and capacitors. Diodes only allow current
      to flow in one direction.

      Some capacitors will only work properly if they're connected with the correct
      polarity (electrolytics and tantalums). The capacitors that you connect
      across the motor are normally monolithic or ceramic, and these types of
      capacitors work equally well with either polarity.

      A capacitor is basically like a little storage device that can hold charge.
      In the case of the motor, it absorbs the charge which is created by a current
      spike, which is noise.

      If you're familiar with modern plumbing, there's a device called a water
      hammer arrestor they often put on your water lines before going to a washing
      machine. These are basically performing the same function as a capacitor on
      the motor. When the washing machine opens the valve quickly there is a sudden
      inrush of water. The water hammer arrestor absorbs the initial shock. The
      capacitor on the motor is doing the same thing when the PWM is switching on
      and off.

      If your motor has a metal case, then adding additional capacitors from the
      metal case to each motor lead helps as well. The metal case will absorb the
      RF trasnmitted by the brushes arcing, and the capacitors will allow it to be
      dissapated.

      --
      Dave Hylands
      Vancouver, BC, Canada