1354Re: [rsa] commutator questions

  • Peter A. Bonucci
    Aug 31, 2003
      douglas,

      I don't know your application, but if I needed to get video from one
      place to another, I would consider an RF or optical link.

      A photo transmitter might shoot down the axle and be received at the
      other end. An RF link could radiate into the room and be received
      anywhere on the other half. It is non-contact, so friction and contact
      noise won't be a problem.

      Price, weight, size, power consumption, and acceptable complexity will
      probably be your major trade-offs. It seems to me that an optical link
      could probably be done for the smallest weight and size, but that may
      not be the trade-off you are looking for.

      Peter A. Bonucci

      douglas irving repetto wrote:
      > david said:
      >
      >>Most guys build their own...
      >

      > That's what my friend has been doing (machining his own), but he's
      > having real trouble with wear and noise in his signals. These are art
      > installations that are on for very long periods of time. He has been
      > experimenting with various materials and designs, but can't come up
      > with anything that's consistently quiet and durable. Any advice or
      > pointers to info?
      >
      > thanks,
      > douglas
      >

      >>At 17:34 30-08-03 -0400, you wrote:
      >>

      >>>hi,
      >>>

      >>>a friend of mine is working on a bunch of projects that involve
      >>>rotating cameras. he's been having trouble finding a reliable
      >>>commutator design. can anyone point me to some online or book-based
      >>>info on commutator design?
      >>>
      >>>(by "commutator" i mean a device that allows you to feed
      >>>power/signals to a rotating part, as opposed to a device that turns a
      >>>motor's output from AC to DC. is "commutator" the correct word for
      >>>this?)
      >>>
      >>>thanks,
      >>
      >> >douglas

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic