An article from CBS.MarketWatch.com

  • drellanos@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2001
      This story was sent to you by drellanos@... with these comments:

      Hey there mr. IAM communicator-man...I'll stick with the media hype regarding UA's business angle, and you can beat me to the punch on UA's 'back-of-the-house' dealings, i.e. past email fwd re:UA emps stealing....I'll be sending these types of email fwd onward.

      From CBS.MarketWatch.com, online at:

      http://aolpf5.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?siteID=aolpf&guid={403AD76E-894B-4313-801F-71537B973FEB}

      NUMBER ONE FOR THE TIME BEING

      By William Spain1:31 PM ET Apr 18, 2001

      CHICAGO (CBS.MW) - Don Carty just couldn't resist rubbing it in a
      little bit.

      At a Monday luncheon celebrating the 75th anniversary of American
      Airlines'

      (AMR)

      inaugural flight (a Chicago-St. Louis mail run piloted by Charles
      Lindbergh, no less), the CEO boasted that his company was the first to
      both land at O'Hare and to operate passenger jets out of Chicago - long
      the home turf of archrival United Airlines

      (UAL)

      .

      Carty also noted that while the acquisition of TWA has once again made
      American Airlines the world's largest airline - "perhaps temporarily,
      perhaps not" - size isn't everything.

      "Size has a little to do with it," he told

      "When you build a network, big is important but this is really all
      about being the best, not the biggest."

      The answer to whether and for how long American will stay on top will
      ultimately be determined by the timing and outcome of United's merger
      with US Airways

      (U)

      , currently at the mercy of federal regulators.

      In the meantime, Carty and his carrier face some economy-size
      challenges that include integrating TWA; making peace with various
      unions; fending off Congressional concerns about passenger service; and
      grappling with a downturn in demand that led to the company to issue an
      earnings warning last month.

      Business travel softens

      It is no secret that "we are seeing a softening in our business
      bookings. . . It is a tough time in the airline business although
      leisure travel has held up pretty well," Carty said.

      The biggest drop-offs have come in some of the regional tech centers,
      he added, "We have done very well serving San Jose, Boston, Austin, but
      as companies [in those markets] suffer, they cut back on travel and are
      watching the pennies."

      In 2000, AMR posted net earnings of $752 million, or $4.65 per share
      before special items on revenues of nearly $20 billion, up from net
      earnings of $543 million, or $3.45 per share in 1999. However, bad
      weather and rising fuel costs led to significant fall-off in the fourth
      quarter as the company managed earnings of just $56 million, 34 cents on
      a per share basis, down from of $87 million, or 57 cents in the same
      period of 1999.

      Then, on the Ides of March, AMR joined United, Northwest

      (NWAC)

      and Delta

      (DAL)

      in the ranks of air carriers issuing earnings warnings for the first
      quarter when it announced it expected to post a "modest" loss on the
      period. At the time, analysts polled by First Call/Thomson Financial had
      been expecting EPS of 34 cents. That number has since been taken down to
      a loss of 31 cents.

      However, when the company reported at mid-session Wednesday, it beat
      that revised estimate when it posted a first quarter net loss of $43
      million, or 28 cents a share. AMR earned $89 million, or 57 cents per
      share, in the first quarter of 2000.

      http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={403AD76E-894B-4313-801F-71537B973FEB}

      .

      Looming labor issues

      At the same time, American is facing open contracts with its flight
      attendants, mechanics and pilots and while Carty is "reasonably
      confident" of reaching deals with all of them, "labor issues are an
      industry-wide problem."

      "Five or six years ago, there was a change in the nature of our
      negotiations" he said, with "more political turmoil, more contracts
      negotiated but never ratified and more internal upheaval" in the unions.

      If American can look forward to some tough talks across the table,
      airline analyst Glenn Engel of Goldman Sachs said that with other labor
      agreements pending at several competitors, "at least a blueprint has
      been established. The good news is that other people will be paving the
      way for them to reach contracts. The bad news is that the contracts will
      be more expensive this time around."

      Carty has been before Congressional committees on several occasions to
      give his side of the story on the industry-wide and company-specific
      delays, cancellations and service cuts that have drawn fire from
      politicians and public alike.

      "I don't want to sound like an airline executive blaming the whole
      world for his problems," Carty said. "But the problem we have now is
      that growth has so far exceeded the capacity of the air traffic control
      system to handle it. When you have these complex networks, almost every
      part of the country can be affected by what happens in a single part."

      Although American has "completely restructured our hubs in hopes of
      being able to operate more reliably," until "a system that is in crisis"
      can be fixed, "no matter what the airlines do or what Congress does, it
      won't change anything."

      Smooth merger so far

      American's $742 million purchase of bankrupt TWA, finalized last week,
      is apt to create some headaches for Carty and his staff but early
      indications are that it is proceeding fairly smoothly. A last-minute
      court challenge was turned aside and the airline has also reached a
      proposed agreement with its pilots on job protection and other issues.
      That was a crucial hurdle for the carrier as pilot fury over its buyout
      of Reno Air in 1999 led to weeklong sickout. That unauthorized job
      action led to the pilots union being ordered to pay $46 million in
      compensation to the airline, although AMR has never moved to collect.

      While it is still too early to tell how it will shake-out, Carty said
      that TWA employees are "tremendously enthusiastic. The cultures have
      some surprising similarities - lots of history, lots of pride."

      One thing they won't have, however, is a flock of new planes from
      Airbus Industrie. Immediately upon completion of their acquisition,
      American moved to cancel a TWA order for 45 A318 and A319 aircraft from
      the European consortium. And, for the time being, American will operate
      TWA as a separate unit until its workers, routes and equipment can be
      fully integrated into the existing system.

      Engel sees American quickly achieving "several hundred million in
      savings" from the merger, pointing out that in addition, "anytime you
      take capacity out of the industry, it improves returns and American will
      certainly be taking some of TWA's" underperforming capacity offline.

      Analyst Ray Neidl of ING Barings said that the buyout should strengthen
      American's competitive position but "I am also very cautious. They
      appear to doing this merger correctly but I am always leery of airline
      mergers because of the complications and expenses of merging two
      companies - particularly in the [area of] labor."

      Turbulence on Wall Street

      Over the past year, shares in AMR have been lurching around like a
      drunken Aeroflot pilot. It hit 52-week low of $26 just before the Fourth
      of July, ran back up a high of $43.94 on January 5, and then slipped
      again. On Tuesday, shares closed up 40 cents to $35.

      Neidl maintains a "buy" rating on AMR stock, with a 12-18 month target
      price of $44. He notes that even if the United-US Airways deal does go
      through, it "may make them bigger in size but not in profitability. That
      integration process is going to be a two-year stomach ache."

      At the anniversary celebration on Monday, much of the emphasis was on
      the American's impressive past. Flight attendants in period uniforms
      were on hand to add a nostalgic air, along with one of the company's
      very first "stewardesses," now into her 80s.

      However, even as he proudly ran down a list of past accomplishments,
      Carty told the assembled group of employees, CEOs, public officials and
      media that the future remains his primary concern: "If you forget that
      history and destiny are two different things, then pretty soon you will
      be history."
    • sfrealtor@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2002
        This story was sent to you by sfrealtor@... with these comments:

        From CBS.MarketWatch.com, online at:
        http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story.asp?source=blq/yhoo&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo&guid=%7BAA9328FE%2D0C9B%2D436D%2D90E4%2D8EC786557F88%7D

          CBS.MarketWatch.com
        Quotes & News
        symbol/fund/keyword
        Find Symbol
        4:19 PM ET Oct 25, 2002 Latest Market Overview
        UAL mechanics say update is 'benign'

        CHICAGO (CBS.MW) -- UAL Corp.'s mechanics will receive what has been described as a "benign" update Friday on the status of weeklong labor discussions with the company's management team.

        Union spokesmen said an e-mail would be delivered, but said that it won't include any details about the negotiations to shave $5.8 billion off labor costs over a 51/2-year period. The mechanics will share those cutbacks with the pilots and flight attendants unions.

        Members of the union were awaiting word on a preliminary resolution, but spokesmen said the talks were still ongoing.

        "There's no big announcement coming," spokesman Joe Tiberi said. "What we're going to put out later is simply an update on the talks.

        The mechanics leaders have been unusually quiet during negotiations. Two weeks ago they said they would hold talks with management separate from the coalition of unions. They added that they didn't necessarily believe the operating savings should come from wage cuts only, but include a broader program of fixing what's wrong with the carrier's business model.

        Tiberi said there is no timeline for when the talks should be concluded. UAL is facing about $875 million in debt payments in November and December.

        "We know when the payment are due," Tiberi said, "but we do not have any deadlines or timelines that we're under."

        United's executives have been in bilateral talks with all of its employee groups in hopes of keeping the nation's second-largest carrier out of bankruptcy.

        Late Tuesday, UAL (UAL) refiled a request to the Air Transportation Stabilization Board for $1.8 billion backup of $2 billion in loans. The money, coupled with a host of concessions from labor, vendors and lessors, is expected to keep the carrier aloft while it struggles to return to profitability.

        United spokesman Jeff Green said management was in constant negotiations with all six of the company's unions.

        "We have agreed on the framework, but we are still talking about who will take what portion of the $5.8 billion in cuts," he said.

        Pilots' union spokesman John Hartz said negotiations were moving forward. "There's no timeline," he said. "They will meet for as long as they need to."

        Ditto for the flight attendants, said spokesperson Jeff Zack. The flight attendants are looking for a return of sorts that could include shares or a percentage of profits, Zack said. About 55 percent of the company is owned by employees, but the flight attendants are not part of that program.

        Earlier Friday, UAL named Pete McDonald executive vice president to lead all divisions relating to the carrier's operations: maintenance and engineering, flight operations, onboard service, system operations control, airport operations, information services and safety. The promotion from senior vice president of airport operations is considered a crucial one to meeting union requests, particularly the mechanics union.

        McDonald has worked at United since 1969, progressing through the company's operations and sales organizations, running the Denver hub and overseeing the transition to Denver International Airport. He oversaw the company's sales, marketing and airport operations in Southern California before moving to the Chicago base as vice president of operations services. For the last year, he has led operations for the airline's 85 airports across the U.S.

        Shares of UAL closed at $2.59, up 25 cents, or nearly 11 percent.

         Oct 25, 2002

          DJIA8443.988 +126.648
          NASDAQ 1331.13 +32.42
          SP500 897.6499 +15.1499
          10Yr 4.095% -0.047

        Front Page News
        U.S. stocks mount a rally for third straight week
        Schering-Plough, Merck win OK for new cholesterol drug
        Industry cure rests solely on economy
        AstraZeneca CFO says hopes remain for new drugs
        BECOME A MEMBER AT CBS MARKETWATCH
        Signing up is quick, easy and FREE!

        As a member, you'll have full access to all of our special member benefits, including:
        - Alerts - Get news as it breaks
        - My Portfolios - Track/analyze your investments
        - E-newsletters - Stay up-to-date on the latest financial news

        Click here to join now!

        Questions? Please contact us at CBS MarketWatch Feedback.

        CBS and the CBS eye device are registered trademarks of CBS Broadcasting, Inc.
        Intraday data provided by S&P Comstock and subject to terms of use.
        Historical and current end-of-day data provided by FT Interactive Data.
        Copyright 1997-2002 MarketWatch.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
        MarketWatch, Inc. is a publicly traded company. Nasdaq: MKTW.

        CBS.MarketWatch.com is TRUSTe Certified. See our Privacy Policy for details.

        .