Quick! Tell your Senators to cosponsor the Buffett Rule

  • Gregory Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 1:19 PM
      Tax Day is in just two weeks and this year the Senate will vote on whether the ultra-rich will finally pay their fair share.

      Up for a vote is Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse's “Paying A Fair Share Act” which would make it so millionaires and billionaires paying lower tax rates than the middle class would have to pay a 30 percent effective tax rate.

      Already, the support for this bill has been huge. Earlier this year we delivered over 50,000 petitions to Sen. Whitehouse in support of his bill to tax the ultra-rich. And new polls show over 73 percent of Americans support the Buffett Rule — a rule making sure people like Warren Buffett don't pay a lower tax rate than their Secretaries.

      But it's not Sen. Whitehouse and progressive champs like him that we need to convince. If we're going to make the Buffett Rule the law of the land, we need to convince moderate Democrats and even some Republicans.

      Will you check if your Senators are on board with the Buffett Rule yet — and if not, ask them to sign on as a cosponsor today?

      In addition to your letters, a number of our affiliates will have secretaries and other 99ers deliver petitions in person to Senators' district offices to send the message home.

      Right now, a dozen Senators are already signed on as sponsors. Many more agree, but haven't signed on yet.

      Help us get the cosponsors we need to break a filibuster and pass the Buffett Rule. Every letter you send helps because whether your Senator fights for the 1% or the 99%, they all know that if you're willing to write them a letter, you're willing to talk to friends and family about why the ultra-rich should pay their fair share.

      And in an election year, showing politicians that we know their voting record and are willing to speak out is the best tool we have to make change. Send your Senators a personal message asking them to cosponsor the Buffett Rule.

      http://act.truemajorityaction.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=314&track=taf