Industry Update and Commentary 31Jan11

  • Bill Koumarelos
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2011
      Boeing tried to do too much with outsourcing and other innovations in developing its 787 Dreamliner, the company acknowledged in a statement published on Thursday.

      Employees and some aerospace experts say the complex global partnerships behind the 787 have eliminated and displaced US jobs, diminished the value of US engineering and delayed the aircraft by nearly three years.

      "We made too many changes at the same time -- new technology, new design tools and a change in the supply chain -- and thus outran our ability to manage it effectively for a period of time," the company said in a written statement. "In short, we have learned, and we are applying our learning."

      The world's second-largest plane maker has promised to bring more of the design work back in-house for the next version of the lightweight carbon-composite plane.

      But Boeing insists its global approach to manufacturing keeps it competitive with rivals and insulates the US job market from the shocks of the highly cyclical plane business.

      (Reuters)

      [Duuuh......we told you that, Boeing!!]

      The EU has blocked the proposed merger of Olympic and Aegean, due to not allowing competition, and the potential of fare increases.

      [Two comments....on one hand, it's a bit of a "double-standard" that the EU is taking a "blind eye" on other EU countries where---for all practical purposes----only have one carrier. Funny they are not paying any attention to Luxembourg, Malta, and especially Belgium.

      On the other hand, those countries also have considerably less airports. It's really the DOMESTIC flights, and not the inter-Europe or long-hauls, that are really the issue.]

      Air Tran is expanding their Carribean routes. These new flights include ATL to Aruba and Punta Cana, as well as MKE-Cancun.

      In the wake of the Domodedovo bombing, security in nearby Ukraine has tightened up. More security personnel at Kiev. Also, you cannot ENTER Kharkiv or Donetsk airports(fairly close to the Russian border)without an ID check.

      South African Airways has made their JFK-Johannesburg trip a nonstop. Plus they are adding more wide-bodies on inter-African routes as well.