Is Time to Strike !! Let`s stop this nonsense at UA !!!

  • G.abaunza
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 2:06 PM
        No more Humiliation !! Management had already destroyed UA any ways. Is time to say NO More... is time to tell them what we think of management and tell them were they can go !!!

      To: <local1782@yahoogroups.com>
      From: "Blake Jenkins" <n6ysa@...>
      Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:47:11 -0800
      Subject: [Local1782] Negociations Update for April 1st 2005

      April 1, 2005

      United Airlines Update

      PLEASE POST

      Dear Sisters and Brothers,

      This week I participated in meetings with the principal officers
      (presidents, recording secretaries and secretary-treasurers) from IAM
      Transportation District and Local Lodges across the country.

      In addition to discussions on the internal operations of the Machinists
      Union, a separate meeting was held with the Local Lodge officers who
      represent United Airlines members.

      The local officers confirmed the membership's outrage at United's perverse
      plan to terminate pensions, unmerited bonuses to corporate officers and
      disproportionate allocation of investment the company demands from IAM
      members.

      Local Lodge officers throughout the United Airlines system are urging
      District 141 to begin planning to strike United Airlines if pension
      solutions are not reached. Accordingly, District 141 will commence strike
      preparations next week with Local Lodges across the country. The IAM's
      strike preparations will not affect ongoing discussions with United.

      General Vice President Robert Roach, Jr., Airline Coordinator Tom Brickner,
      IAM staff economist Beth Almeida, our pension experts and I met this week to
      discuss the status and future direction of United's pension plans. IAM and
      United pension actuaries will meet next week to explore solutions to
      preserve our members' defined pension benefits.

      The District 141 Negotiating Committee will meet with United the week of
      April 11, 2005. We will present United with an 1113(c) proposal that
      reflects the IAM's view of fairness in allocation that is appropriate for
      IAM members at United Airlines.

      You will be kept apprised of the outcomes of these discussions.

      Sincerely and fraternally,

      S.R. (Randy) Canale
      President & Directing General Chairman

      CC: IP Buffenbarger

      GVP Roach, Jr.

      AC Brickner

      DL 141 E-Board

      Help keep others informed.

      Print this message and post on your shop bulletin boards.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • dktomb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2 9:40 AM
        Striking now, or even THREATENING a strike would be foolish and counterproductive to our cause. The company is operating somewhat successfully right now, and while we're (slowly) on our way to recovery, there are going to be many bumps and turns that bruise us.  While we, as employees, may be the recipient of most of those bruises, we're not on the brink of disaster.

        A strike would be the final nail in the coffin: our customers would immediately go elsewhere, including those who have stood by us through thick and thin.  Other carriers, like pariahs, would facilitate the switch FROM UA, making it so easy for OUR customers to smoothly transition away - they are ready to feed on us.  THAT would be the end, and analysts would then blame the unions for the demise of UA, in spite of what we may believe to be the truth.

        There would be no more UA if a strike was called. There would be no recovery. There would be no customers. There would be no airline.  The mere threat of strike is enough to send our most valuable business travelers running.  Let's stop this nonsense and get back to taking care of our customers, in spite of what we're enduring right now.

        We MUST continue to negotiate until resolution is reached. There is only one alternative: a complete shutdown and liquidation.  I'm currently receiving a paycheck.  A strike or shutdown would end that cash flow immediately and permanently.

        David
        LAXCS

        To: <local1782@yahoogroups.com>
        From: "Blake Jenkins" <n6ysa@...>
        Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:47:11 -0800

[...]

        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
      • Jef Feltman
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3 12:28 PM

          Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t Bush already said he would not let any airline strike? Also a strike against a bankrupt company just means all the quicker for us to go to the unemployment line……………….diane

          To: <local1782@yahoogroups.com>
          From: "Blake Jenkins" <n6ysa@...>
          Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:47:11 -0800

[...]

          Now that you're a member of the sfocs email list, try and get others to sign up.

          Check out your Union Webpage at http://local1782.org

        • Gail O'Connor
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4 10:35 AM

            Even though I'm retired from UA and losing a large chunk of my pension, I've got to agree.  While in bankruptcy, the company's in the drivers seat.  We need to realize that there's still a chance UA might not make it.  Where's the business plan?  Still nonexistant.  Strike, I don't think so.  Only if you want to push UA into liquidation.  Ride it out!!

          • Gregory R. Brown
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20 8:07 PM
              I'm not concerned about the pensions, as I believe they are gone, and I would agree with you Gail, if I thought That we might be around if United survives, but it appears that United may be contracting out CS jobs, and then we will "united" for the managers as we will all be gone!!!!  I don't think I want to save United at the expense of contracting out our jobs.   We'll have a airline run by managers at the top and middle and the bottom management with the workers will all be contractors!!!  They'll even pay themselves a bonus for saving all the money by contracting out the jobs!!!   Then we will have no jobs, no medical, no pension, no flight privileges, nothing!!!!   If United won't guarantee they won't contract out our jobs after all these cuts, then If I go, I want to take the managers who got us into this mess, with me!!   Save United for them when were gone???!!!!  I DON'T THINK SO!!!!  I did not support the pension issue and I accept the pay cuts, but the contracting out of our jobs???  NO WAY!!!!
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21 10:31 AM
                Beth, My having an outside job has nothing to do with it!!!   Your approach appears to be cross your fingers and hope that UAL will make it. Why do you believe your job as a CSR will exist in a few months, if we do not vote to strike? HOPE??? I wouldn't want to tie my plans to hoping united WON'T CONTRACT OUT OUR WORK IN A FEW MONTHS OR A FEW YEARS.  WHY CAN'T UNITED PUT IT IN OUR CONTRACT THEY WON'T CONTRACT OUT OUR WORK, IF WE GIVE THEM EVERYTHING THEY WANT?? Seems the handwriting is on the wall!!!  Voting against a strike, appears it may be helping the company point the gun at our heads and pulling the trigger!!!!   Greg     P.S.  As most of you know I am against a strike, but if they won't give us a no contracting out provision, then, it appears we'll be out of here possibly in months, one way or another!!! So in this case I say strike!!   Just my opinion!!!
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 22 5:11 PM
                  you are more than welcome to ..Mike

                  Thanks, Lori
                  From:  BGMiller1@...
                  Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:28:39 EDT
                  To: sfocs@yahoogroups.com
                  !!!

                  http://mail2web.com/ .

                  Now that you're a member of the sfocs email list, try and get others to sign up.

                  Check out your Union Webpage at http://local1782.org

                  Now that you're a member of the sfocs email list, try and get others to sign up.

                  Check out your Union Webpage at http://local1782.org

                  <image.tiff>

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .