Industry update and Commentary 2May04

  • Bill Koumarelos
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2004
      ATA is looking at both Boeing and Embraier for 100-seat aircraft to use on selected routes.

      General Electric gave Air Canada a $1.5 Billion dollar loan, which is contingent on AC clearing bankruptcy on 9/30.

      AirTran has declared a profit for first quarter 2004. So has Eva Air. Avianca, surprisingly enough, has also turned a profit in Q1.

      Cuba's tourism increased 13.6% the first quarter, due largely to increased numbers of Brits going there.

      EasyJet will be setting up a hub at Berlin's Schoenfeld airport. First order is to get new service to Budapest from SXF. On Saturday, some EasyJet flights had to be cancelled due to misplaced insurance papers, of all things....

      The Italian government, following a recent mini-strike, is talking to Alitalia's unions.{What Italy really wants to do is subsidize the carrier, which is now illegal by EU rules....but trying to find some way to circumvent them...]
      A pilot for All Nippon Airlines fell asleep at the controls of a domestic Japanese flight. A aviation inspector--from Japan's equivalent of the FAA---happened to be in the cockpit and woke him up.

      Continental says the 7E7 and the A-380 would be perfect fits for their company.....except that they cannot afford to buy new planes at this point.

      Royal Nepal Airlines has been sending pilots from its Katmandu domicile, to Denver, for training on UAL's 757 simulators.

      Albania is now requiring visas for U.S. citizens again. But no problem, as they can be obtained upon arrival. However, the price can range from anywhere from $5 to $70, and you generally won't know what you will be charged until you get there.

      wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

      United in Seattle has had a record number of aircraft damages in the first quarter of 2004, totalling over 2.5 million worth. WHQ is not exactly happy with that. [But don't let this mislead you.......all of the damages were done by contracted employees, such as cleaners and caterers. Are we really saving any money by outsourcing? Although the wages and benefits for contractors are less, this eats away any net gain by doing so. While it is true that it is more costly to have UAL employees at such an operation--initially----we would had not be paying out all that cash for aircraft damages, either.]

      The proposed Vietnam service will be a continuation of a SFO-HKG trip. [Personally, I would prefer to see it out of LAX, given the number of Vietnamese in Orange County. And it is understandable that SFO is right in the middle, geographically, so both SEA and LAX and other west coast stations can feed it. However, it is a bad idea to make it a continuation of the existing SFO-HKG trip. We've got a lot of HKG locals as well as offline Manila connections.
      Flights to HKG are full enough already.

      To open up a new station, and then not make enough seats to have the overwater portion available, is a dumb idea. If we indeed are going to do it from SFO, then have a second HKG trip, within two hours of the other.......and run it like the 853/837 Tokyo tandem. ]

      The day before the onboard Sheryl Crow concert, Sony is chartering a UA plane from SFO to ORD. [I imagine this is connected somehow to the concert....test run of equipment, perhaps?]

      Speaking of charters, none are showing in the lineup for the U.S. Olympic teams. [Seems ironic, as we have been the official carrier for many years. Additionally, there is also the general absence of non-Chicago/non-Denver pro sports teams on our charters lineup. Apparently, some teams that previously chartered UAL on a regular basis--including the S.F. Giants----are not doing so anymore. In fact, the majority of MLB teams used to fly United, but now are not doing so. What's the deal here?]

    • dktomb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2004
        In a message dated 5/2/04 9:17:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, billykatsfo@... writes:
        The proposed Vietnam service will be a continuation of a SFO-HKG trip. [Personally, I would prefer to see it out of LAX, given the number of Vietnamese in Orange County. And it is understandable that SFO is right in the middle, geographically, so both SEA and LAX and other west coast stations can feed it. However, it is a bad idea to make it a continuation of the existing SFO-HKG trip. We've got a lot of HKG locals as well as offline Manila connections.
        Flights to HKG are full enough already.
        Billy, you are so right!  I think they failed to do their homework on this one!
        David
        LAXCS
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
      • michael
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2004

          This is a link to the Vietnamese Resource Center.

          It gives the 2000 Census data regarding Vietnamese population in the US.  If these stats are correct, we should reinstate our non-stops from IAH-LAX to connect to our new service LAX-SGN via HKG.

          Ok,  I know this is overkill on the SGN route but interesting facts.
          M. Casey LAXCS

          “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

          Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

        • dktomb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2004
            In a message dated 5/3/04 3:38:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time, mikey1228@... writes:

            This is a link to the Vietnamese Resource Center.
            Bravo, Mikey!
            That is wonderful information!

            David

            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)