MAY - Letter of Spiritual Assistant

  • Richard C ofs
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2012
                            Our Lady of the Angels Regional Spiritual Assistant
      Dear Sisters and Brothers in Francis,                                                 MAY, 2012
            In the long-standing tradition of the Church the month of May has been set aside as a time for the veneration of the faithful to honour Our Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of heaven and Mother of the Church, in their hearts. In his early faith journey Francis was drawn not only toward his Lord and Master but also toward Mary his humble virgin Mother. It came to pass, that in 1210 Francis and the brothers moved to the Porziuncola, a small dilapidated church located in a swamp outside Assisi. This little forgotten church was donated to the friars by the Benedictines in return for an annual basket of fish. This love story became an integral part of Francis' quest for holiness for himself and his brothers and sisters.
            In his Office of the Passion Francis would lovingly pray: "Holy Virgin Mary, among women born into the world, there is no one like you. Daughter and servant of the most high and supreme King and the Father in heaven, Mother of our most holy Lord Jesus Christ, Spouse of the Holy Spirit, pray for us with Saint Michael the Archangel, all the powers of heaven and all the saints, at the side of your most holy beloved Son, our Lord and Teacher. Glory to the Father and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever, Amen."
             St. Paschal Baylon [1592] sums up our Christian goal in life: Seek God above all things. It is right for you to seek God before and above everything else because the majesty of God wishes you to receive what you seek. This will also make you more ready to serve God and will enable you to love him more perfectly,
             Please pray for the successful outcome of the Regional Elective Chapter to take place at Rosemary Heights Retreat Center, Surrey B.C. on May 18-21, 2012. Many thanks.
                                                                                   Friar Louis Geelan, O.F.M.
                                      Questions for personal reflection and group discussion:
      1. What are the ways that I can open my heart and mind to spread the Good News of the Gospel Way to our world?
      2. How do I invoke the Blessed Virgin's Mary's help and example for my family and the good of the fraternity?
      Paix et joie,
      Richard Chamberland, ofs
      OFS - Ordre Franciscain Séculier
      (Site de Sherbrooke ouvert sur le monde)