Our Lady of the Angels Regional -LETTER- Spiritual Assistant

  • Richard C ofs
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
      Our Lady of the Angels Regional Spiritual Assistant

      February, 2011

      Dear Sisters and Brothers,

            The excitement of Christmas season has passed, and now the concern of year end bills, income tax, and work schedule is before us … this year’s commitments are marked are on our calendars. It has occurred to me just how many feasts or solemnities we just celebrated. Christmas time gives us an abundance of opportunities to reflect on all facets of our Franciscan life. We have only to raise our minds above the ‘happy holiday’ mind-set into the spiritual realm of things, and there is a richness to revel in.

             There is the birth of Christ — the simple birth of a child reaching out to young and old, to rich and poor. God opened a whole new outlook and lifestyle, for us to clothe ourselves with. Through the birth of a child, God made us a new and special people. He raised us up to Himself. The feast of the Holy Innocents also played out a scenario for us that continues to happen over and over again. It is found worldwide, in the poverty of children, the victims of was, and the arrogant way we treat our unborn. Are we truly concerned or do we pay lip service only?

             Mary, Mother of God, brings to mind the whole spectrum of motherhood. No life is complete without a sensitive, gentle, nurturing, guiding and calming hand of a mother. Do we really appreciate this? What more important event for us as Seculars, than the Epiphany and revelation of the Lord? God in His eminence and His humility opened His Kingdom to all people. By this one act of God, we are all enrolled in the scrolls of eternity. The baptism of the Lord marks the divinity of Jesus. The Son of the most-high- God did not need cleansing from original sin, but we do. By this one act of modelship and unity with us, the Son of God Himself brought us into His family. This is but a thumbnail sketch of what an awesome period of spiritual enrichment Christmas can be for all of us. Let us then, raise ourselves above the stress if “happy holidays”! It is a matter of raising ourselves above the concerns and stress of holiday bills and the burden of income tax! It is a time for our spirit to enjoy a while the Blessings of Christmas!

       Fraternally,

      Friar Louis Geelan, O.F.M.

                                      Questions for personal reflection and group discussion:

      1. What are the means by which my Franciscan example can serve to evangelize my fraternity and community?

      2. How do the readings at Sunday and daily Mass help me to discern what God     wants of me?

                                          Here I am Lord, I have come to do your will.

      Paix et joie,
      Richard ofs
      OFS - Ordre Franciscain Séculier (Sher)
      À la suite de saint François d'Assise (sur Facebook)

    • Bret Thoman
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
        Please take me off your mailing list.

        Cordially